Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #1 
AzeemTheBettaFan

Why are my females more "curious" than my males?

Hi every one!!!

I am new to this site (in a way), this was the only site I went to when I had questions and everyone on this site is just awesome for being such amazing betta owners.
So here's my question,
My 2 female Bettas are curious about everything! They love to hide in their silk plants and little "caves" I gave them, and they love to poke and nibble at my fingers when I hand feed them.
My 4 males on the other hand, do not hide as much and don't seem interested in interacting with me.
I'm guessing its just their personalities or them just being tense and territorial because I've seen videos of really playful males. I got a male veiltail yesterday (he's my profile picture) and at first he was scared but now he follows my finger so I guess it's just who they are?
AzeemTheBettaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #2 
sainthogan

My female is very curious and gets very excited when I come around. My male on the other hand is terrified of everything, and even more so now that the biggest leaf on his Lilly plant died. He hardly eats due to his fear. When he could see my female for a short time when I was switching out his tank from his temporary one to his "home", he hid most of the time. If I put a mirror in front of him, he either high tails it to one of his numerous hiding spots or plays dead.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #3 
AzeemTheBettaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
My female is very curious and gets very excited when I come around. My male on the other hand is terrified of everything, and even more so now that the biggest leaf on his Lilly plant died. He hardly eats due to his fear. When he could see my female for a short time when I was switching out his tank from his temporary one to his "home", he hid most of the time. If I put a mirror in front of him, he either high tails it to one of his numerous hiding spots or plays dead.
Aww that's so sad! it's cute how the lily made him feel safe! I read something once about a betta obsessed with this one rock and would "guard" it. Whenever I do a water change and have to remove my males they always dart behind the plants or any nearby object
Old 06-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #4 
Lukie

I guess it all just comes down to personality really.

I used too have a lovely HM pair (Profile Pic) And the male was the kindest fish! Had him in with several fish and had no issues.

Other Fighters I've kept, have been completely different. I had a little VT Male who was super interactive with people, and another who wasn't.

Fish all have different personalities.. That's what is so neat about them. =).
Lukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #5 
Fishy Mom

My females are far interactive with me than any males I've had. They love swimming through my hand & being pet. I have a boy that I put in a sorority when I thought he was a girl. He spent 5 or 6 months in there before he went through a growth spurt & I figured out he was a boy. He acts like my girls & still let's me pet him even though he is in his own tank now. My girls trained him well i guess. My VT boy is more of a bratty boy who has to have everything in his tank just the way he likes it or he plays dead & won't let me touch him.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #6 
Seki

I don't have any females... yet. But even between my three males I have noticed distinct personality traits. My plakat male, Hiei, is ferocious. He bites at my fingers when I feed him and flares if I so much as dare to TOUCH the side of his tank.

Nova, on the other hand, is super chill and actually a bit of a scaredy cat. If given the option to flare at his reflection or swim to the other side of the tank, he'll generally swim away. He only flares when he's good and ready.

And then there's Kai... who thinks he's constantly on display. He flares at EVERYTHING, and by everything I mean nothing at all. He's so silly... always showing off like "Mom, look at MEEEEEEE! And gimme a bloodworm while you're at it!"
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #7 
jesssan2442

my female is very curious, but I have a male who is slightly more curious than her. I think it depends more on personality than gender, but I'm sure in some cases its the other way around...
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #8 
AzeemTheBettaFan

This is just another reason as to why I love Not only my Bettas but Bettas in general. They're each adorable and unique in their own way I would love to hear about everyone's betta and what they do that makes them one of a kind. I mean even if I had two Bettas that looked the same or are of the same spawn, they're personalities won't be the same

Tags
betta, females, males, personality, user