Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #1 
Nuij

This might seem silly, but...

Just to get opinions...
I've got my betta in a 10 gallon, and was looking into getting him some tank mates. I think I've pretty well settled on one of two types of shrimp, and was wondering which might be better to go with.

See, I've got a red and blue theme going with my tank... Gravel is blue, betta is red, most of the plants at least have red tint... So, I'm thinking either blue velvet or red cherry.

But... I'm on the fence. If I get the blue velvets, they prolly won't pop out so much... but that might well be a good thing, just in case Vincent turns out to be more aggressive than I anticipate. Do you guys think the color would really make that much of a difference with him? I know it's really personality mostly, but he's never had a tank mate, or even a neighbor that was aquatic... I'm not sure how he would react.

I guess I was just curious if it might be safer to get the shrimp that would have an easier time blending into the gravel, even if that meant I couldn't see them as well myself.
Nuij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Why don't you go to the pet store and buy three or for ghost shrimp (less than 50 cents each) and see how he does? If he sees them as a snack you won't be out as much $$. If he ignores them, get some of the Neos you mentioned.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #3 
Nuij

Alright, so I followed your advice, and now have three ghosties (including one very eggy female) in quarantine. I guess we'll see how Vincent reacts in about 2 weeks!
Old 06-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #4 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Good luck!!!!
Old 06-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #5 
Nuij

Ok, so lost 2 shrimp in as many days...
The female crawled into the wrong spot and got crushed when something settled... And one of the others was just dead in the tank when I got home... The last (and smallest of the three) is still kicking, but that is very disappointing.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Is your tank cycled? Do you check your water parameters? Even .025 ammonia will kill shrimp when it won't both the fish.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #7 
Nuij

Checked parameters as soon as I got him out, and everything was good... Tank is newly set up, so not properly cycled yet, but a spike would have killed the other one too, wouldn't it?
Conditioned, heated, filtered... Made sure food drifted to the bottom so they could get it when I put some in for them... Argh.... So frustrating.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #8 
Skyewillow

ghost shrimp aren't well cared for in petstores because they're "feeders", it's possible that they just succumbed to conditions.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #9 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Ammonia and nitrites need to be 0. Shrimp like a stable, mature tank. SW is correct on treatment of Ghosties and their mortality rate. But puttiing them in an uncycled tank adds to the stress.