Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #1 
mandimai

Best 5 Gallon Tank?

I will be getting a new male betta within the next few days and am looking to find a high quality yet reasonably priced 5 gallon tank for him. I have a 1 gallon vase for him to stay in for the time being, but am planning to upgrade asap.

The setup I have for my female betta is a 2 gallon Petco brand hexagonal tank (http://www.petco.com/product/113933/...-Aquarium.aspx). She seems to be VERY very happy in it; her whole demeanor has changed from when she was in the the gallon vase a friend gave her to me in. I haven't looked to see if they carry the same tank in a 5 gallon, but I'd like to hear some reviews of other tanks before I decide which one to get. If possible, I'd like to keep the same shape.

This is the new boy:

Thanks in advance everyone!
mandimai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #2 
Seki

Well... it's not a hex, but I absolutely love the 5.5 gallon I got from Petsmart. It's their brand, Top Fin, and I recommend replacing the filter with a better one (I got an Aqueon QuietFlow 10 for it), but the tank is sturdy and I actually like the hood that came with it. Plus, it was only $30 for the whole kit. :)
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

BUT If you have the room for it... there is also a 10 gallon kit for $30. It'll give you more room (for potentially another betta hee hee) and the cost will be basically the same because you'll want to replace the filter that comes with it. Of course, that's just me being picky about filters... I haven't tried it, so for all I know, the filter is just fine.

ETA: If your heart is set on a hex, there is a 5 gallon hex. But it's $50, so not quite as affordable as the others. Very attractive tank, though!

Sorry I'm only listing Petsmart stuff. That's really all we have around here, so that's all I have experience with.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #3 
mandimai

I've heard lots of bad things about the Marineland Eclipse filters. I can't quite meet that price right now either. :( Do you think this guy would be ok in a 2 gallon tank?
Old 06-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #4 
Seki

I keep my veiltail in a 2.5 gallon minibow and he's fine. Previously I kept a crowntail in there for a year and a half and he was just fine. I also keep my new crowntail in a 3 gallon, so smaller tanks won't hurt them as long as you keep up with water changes.

Are you sure you can't swing one of the 5.5 gallon kits? Your boy would be just fine in a 2 gallon, but he'd love you for a 5.5 gallon. :)
Old 06-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #5 
mandimai

I'd love the bigger one, but the not-so-good reviews of the Marineland one makes me wary. I need a hex since the tanks sit on my bedside tables. I'm disabled and have a hard time getting around, so that's the best place for them to be where I can interact with them, etc.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #6 
waterdog

http://www.petco.com/product/12788/M...sultRedirect=1

I own several tanks, but this one is the best IMO. I love it. The bio wheel keeps BB when I change the filter pad. The filter is in the top so it doesn't take room inside. The hex shape saves space and fits with your other tank. Best 5 on the market, again IMO!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #7 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandimai View Post
I've heard lots of bad things about the Marineland Eclipse filters. I can't quite meet that price right now either. :( Do you think this guy would be ok in a 2 gallon tank?
I don't know what you have heard, but the bio wheel of marineland is an industry favorite. I have used their HOB's for years and have always gotten superior water conditions!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #8 
mandimai

Waterdog, how often do you change your filter?
Old 06-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #9 
mandimai

Also, do you keep a heater in yours? If so, what kind?
Old 06-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #10 
Seki

All bettas should have heaters in their tanks. Bettas are tropical fish and their water should be around 76-82 degrees and a constant temperature. Wide fluctuations aren't good for them.