Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #1 
JamieL

Petco baby with parasites?

I got a baby betta from petco 2 weeks ago, i had been noticing white stringy things in the water. hes tiny in a 5.5 gal, so it hard to see his poop, but this morning he has a hanging poop thats white and I'm concerned. what now?

What size is your tank? 5.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 79-81
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? being trying different foods, finally found pellets he will eat, NLS small fish, plus frozen baby brine shrimp, have fed frozen bloodworm twice
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3x/day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
havent tested yet today, i am cycling the tank, before last change it was
Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? white string hanging
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? rests on the bottom more often, otherwise none, otherwise swimming fine, flaring and eating/wanting to eat
When did you start noticing the symptoms? several days
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? 10 weeks? not exactly sure. got him about two weeks ago as a petco baby
Attached Images

JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can use a concentration of .5 teaspoon of Epsom per gallon since he's older. For younger babies I'd suggest a smaller dose of .25 but he'll be fine with the .5 concentration. Epsom salt or 100% Magnesium Sulfate no additives or scent, is a laxative so that will help flush out the parasites in him. You can find it at wal-mart/pharmacy and it doesn't matter the brand as long as it's 100% Magnesium Sulfate.

So mix that up, make sure you dissolve the salt first! And add a little bit in at a time so that he can adjust to it. Then when you do your water change replace the 50% that you took out.

So for a 5.5 you'd be using 2.75 teaspoons of Epsom and then when you replace for the new water use about 1.3 teaspoons, I know that's a weird dosage, if you can only get to 1.5 that's fine, it won't harm him. But continue dosage for about a week or he starts pooping normally, keep feeding him 3x a day so that he can poop out more of the parasites.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #3 
JamieL

thats simple enough, (and inexpensive!) thank you. so this is something he can fight off, as long as he can pass them? hes pretty feisty, he seems to be fine otherwise, but white stringy poop is never normal, right?

I'll pick up some epsom salt when i go out later, and start it tonight. I almost bought it a few weeks ago for myself as a foot soak, and i didnt, now i wish i did.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yup, it shouldn't be too long until they're all out and yes white stringy poop is not normal. If it was more solid there could be something else at work. There was a betta that once went vegetarian and ate the roots off his amazon plant and ended up pooping out white because their poop should be the color of their food, which is normally brown/orange. So he was healthy enough, just ate white roots and therefore pooped white solid poop lol

But stringy is never good, and yes good thing about the Epsom is that you can use it for yourself as well! haha
Old 06-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #5 
JamieL

I think I see a poop!! Could that be after only 24 hrs of Epsom salt? Maybe he was passing the last of them on his own yesterday? I've never seen anything but white strings, but I didn't realize they weren't normal until he was trailing one yesterday. There's a little orange/brown coil like a tiny cinnamon bun on the gravel!
Old 06-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yup, completely possible.

lol cinnamon bun XD Never heard that one before! lol too funny. So yes, once you see another cinnamon bun on the floor you can do a series of 25-50% water changes to take out the Epsom gradually and then it's good to go from there!!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #7 
JamieL

this little fish cant catch a break. he was having normal poop for a while, I even noticed a whole bunch last night when i vacuumed the gravel, then i came home just now and he clearly has parasites again. this poop hanging from him is loooooong and its clear, its almost like an empty sausage casing. I have san fransisco bay brand frozen bloodworms, and i just heard they can introduce parasites?? maybe i gave the parasites to him both times with the food?? I'm redosing the tank with epsom salt and i just fed him daphnia (hikari brand). and i know the picture isn't the clearest but does it look like he may have fin rot as well?? his fins have always had a dark edge, but since hes so little i wasn't sure if that was his coloring or not. the dorsal fin almost looks a little ragged.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Looks like his coloring as far as that goes.

Actually! Here's a tidbit you'll like Betta's poop exactly what they eat, so if he's been eating bloodworms then it's going to come out looking like a bloodworm and honestly that's exactly what it looks like to me! You can feed the daphnia no problems there, but I don't think you need any thing else, even ES won't be needed but you can keep it in there till the next change since you've already dosed it ^_^
Old 07-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #9 
JamieL

Even though its clear/whitish?? It was hanging for a while but then I caught him pooping it out the rest of the way. He only poops in two places, under the moss ball and on top of the heater. o_O This fish is giving me anxiety! I did a WC yesterday, so I'm doing another one tomorrow.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, it looks fine to me. If you feed him something else and he continues to poop like this after two or three times then there might be something else at work again but I'm more willing to bet that it's the BW's coming out.