Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #11 
slug61

Still no movement....it's been 8 days
I'm going away next friday for 5 days...i may have to just give up and put my fish back.
slug61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #12 
slug61

Ok, this is now getting ridiculous.

I changed out 25% water with the used water from my cycled tank along with a plastic plant from the cycled tank 2 days ago.

I STILL have 2ppm ammonia....
there has been no movement at all!! in 11 days!

I'm only waiting until tomorrow, if there is still no movement, i will be doing multiple water changes until it is 0, then i'm putting my fish back.

We leave next friday for 5 days.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #13 
slug61

So today: still NOTHING....2ppm ammonia.

I'm giving up and doing very large water changes to get it down as close to 0 as I can..and putting my fish back.

Don't know why it didn't work? My other tank (also 2.5) fully cycled in 2 weeks...but this one won't even eat any ammonia?

I'm really confused?
Old 06-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #14 
waterdog

So am I. Never had this problem before. Did you try taking water from your cycled tank and putting it in your new tank?
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #15 
jaysee
Reference Team

Moving water from one tank to another is not effective - bacteria do not live in the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug61 View Post
So today: still NOTHING....2ppm ammonia.

I'm giving up and doing very large water changes to get it down as close to 0 as I can..and putting my fish back.

Don't know why it didn't work? My other tank (also 2.5) fully cycled in 2 weeks...but this one won't even eat any ammonia?

I'm really confused?
Your other tank cycled RIDICULOUSLY fast, so fast that I have to question whether it was actually cycled in the timeframe you think it was.

Generally when cycling with ammonia, it takes about a month. Takes around 2 weeks for the ammonia to go down, then another 1-2 weeks for the nitrite to go down.

Unfortunately, your previous experience has left you with some unrealistic expectations. It IS working - it's nature, it WILL work. You just have to be patient and wait for it, or, like hally said, just transfer some media from your already cycled tanks filter to the new tanks filter and be done with it. That's the preferred way to cycle new tanks.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #16 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
Moving water from one tank to another is not effective - bacteria do not live in the water.
Sorry I have to disagree with you completely! I have been moving cycled tank water into new tanks for almost 10 years and it works every time! PERIOD!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #17 
jaysee
Reference Team

Beneficial bacteria lives on biofilm, and biofilm forms on surfaces. The bacteria can use water for transportation i suppose, but it doesn't live in the water. I've got an empty tank and a bottle of ammonia... I'm anxious to review the results of the experiment.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #18 
slug61

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
So am I. Never had this problem before. Did you try taking water from your cycled tank and putting it in your new tank?
Yup...I did that...no change
Old 07-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #19 
slug61

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post

Your other tank cycled RIDICULOUSLY fast, so fast that I have to question whether it was actually cycled in the timeframe you think it was.

Generally when cycling with ammonia, it takes about a month. Takes around 2 weeks for the ammonia to go down, then another 1-2 weeks for the nitrite to go down.

Unfortunately, your previous experience has left you with some unrealistic expectations. It IS working - it's nature, it WILL work. You just have to be patient and wait for it, or, like hally said, just transfer some media from your already cycled tanks filter to the new tanks filter and be done with it. That's the preferred way to cycle new tanks.

The other tank is still cycled constantly getting 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 10ish nitrates.

We just got back from being away for 5 days... i had already put my fish back in his regular tank and gave up on fishless.

We go away again on the 13th of July for 8 days....a little worried about no water changes for that long...but, there's nothing i can do about it.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #20 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug61 View Post
The other tank is still cycled constantly getting 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 10ish nitrates.

We go away again on the 13th of July for 8 days....a little worried about no water changes for that long...but, there's nothing i can do about it.
Yes, there is something you can do about it. You can transfer some of the media in the cycled tanks filter to the new tanks filter. That will solve your problems.