Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #1 
deekay04

Help! Stuff on fins

I came to work this morning and noticed this on my betta's fins. It just happened over the weekend and he acts normal. The fins do not appear to be damaged. I would like help in figuring out what it is, so I can treat it. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!
Attached Images

deekay04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #2 
deekay04

To help with information:
I have him in a vase that I can put almost 3 liters of Betta water (bottled from store) in. I do partial (about a third) water change every week and suck debris from rocks out with turkey baster. He gets freeze dried bloodworms as meal. Rocks and live plant are in the vase. Room temp water. Not sure of exact, but no heater.

Please help!
Old 06-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #3 
deekay04

Can it be just debris caught in the slime coat that is from the plant leaves? It looks similar to what I see is floating on the plant leaves. And it's only on his bottom fins that hang down and touch everything. I will do a water change and try aquarium salt....
Old 06-19-2013, 12:10 AM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

A 3L (0.75 gal) tank needs more frequent water changes. I recommend doing at least two 100% water changes per week.

I would do a 100% water change immediately, using 0.5 teaspoons Aquarium salt. Acclimate slowly. (See below.) If he shows any signs of bloating, constipation, or buoyancy issues, do a 100% water change using plain (conditioned) water.

Until he is better, I recommend doing 100% water changes every other day. This will keep bacteria and toxin levels low.

If this doesn't take care of the problem within a day or two, let us know. (He may require a higher dosage of Aquarium salt, or an antibiotic.)

There are many ways to do a water change and acclimate (reintroduce) your fish back into the tank. Here is one variation:
  1. Note the temperature of the water.
  2. Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
  3. Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
  4. Since your tank is 3L (0.75gal), add 0.5 teaspoons Epsom salt. Dissolve the salt completely!
  5. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min.
  6. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
  7. Let his cup float for about 10 min.
  8. If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
  9. Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed.
  10. Gently release him into the tank.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 06-19-2013 at 12:13 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #5 
deekay04

Thank you for the information. I actually took him to a nearby fish store that has an experienced staff. Ironically the place is called "fish doctors". When I netted him, all the stuff came off like it was just debris. The people at the store told me to just watch him and see if it reappears since fungus or ich doesn't usually just come off. I did a 1/3 water change just to be safe, and no sign of the stuff since it wiped off. I'm thinking it was debris on the leaves that transferred to his lower fins when he sits on them. It just looked very similar to what I rubbed off the leaves. Ill keep an eye on him. Luckily he's right on my desk at work and I'm here 8hrs m-f so I get to see him a lot.