Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #1 
Jexx

Platy Babies: when are you able to sex?

So these are my babies that are currently 2 weeks old. Remember how i thought they were guppies? I thought Coral the guppy had given birth to all of them and died there after. Turns out she did give birth but only to one fry before dying. That fry also died. These 5 remaining actually belong to Frigg the big red Platy. They all look the same, a few are just slightly lighter. What I want to know is, when can I tell the gender? I am confused because google has told me anywhere from 1.5-4 months. Does any one here know a more concrete answer? The fry were in a mesh breeder for 2 weeks and then moved to a 4 gallon kk with a sponge filter and real and fake plants.
Attached Images

Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #2 
Riverotter

Sorry, it will be a while. They will all look like females until sexual maturity, when the males anal fins will begin to develop into gonopodiums.

The biggest, boldest males will develop first, the others after.
If they are feeling crowded, or there are more males then females, or some older, dominant males, you will even see a few "mock" females. These are boys who just won't develop until the pressure is off. It's more common in swordtails, but does happen in the related platies (not all platy species will do this, but many are hybridized, and also hybridized with swordtails).

I actually had one very recently. There was a tank with some nice big swordtails at the LFS, only 2 this color I wanted. I brought home my 2 "girls" and 2 weeks later, one developed a gonopodium and is developing a "sword". He is as big as males get, he just never matured until there was no competition.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #3 
Jexx

well, there are 5 of them in a 4 gallon. They are 2 weeks old. I would just like to know on average when they will be sexable. When is sexual maturity?
Old 06-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #4 
Riverotter

Generally speaking, between 1.5 and 4 months. I wish there was a more concrete answer for you, but there isn't.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #5 
Jexx

oh man