Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #1 
Rosencrantz32

Little Petsmart "Rescue"

After shopping with my fiance for Father's Day gifts, I talked him into letting me go look at fish in the nearby Petsmart. Our reasoning was, so long as I'm supervised, I won't come home with a new fish... Now we know better :p

This is the guy that really caught my eye. I loved the brightness of his fins and he had such an attitude! Honestly, I can't stop thinking about him. I may have to go back and get him...

But this is the guy we left with. My fiance liked him more and he really needed some TLC. So, I brought him home and (after acclimating of course) let him loose in the 2.5 gal tank I just happened to have set up. He doesn't have a name yet (I've made that the fiance's job. But I'm sure he'd be happy for suggestions) but he's doing pretty well.

6/15/13

Later that evening... Yay color!

So far I've been putting Stress Coat and some Aquarium Salt in to help with his fin rot. Anyone know why his fins are curly? Is that part of the fin rot?
Rosencrantz32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #2 
KohakuRiver

Bettas fins can curl in less then ideal water conditions, clean water should clear that up, I'd focus on his fin rot.
KohakuRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #3 
Rosencrantz32

Got it. That's what I'm focused on. Anything I should do other than Stress Coat, Aquarium Salt, and daily water changes?
Old 06-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #4 
Lights106

Holy gorgeous fish! Give him lots of lovins?
Lights106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

What dosage of AQ salt are you using? He is a beautiful boy!

Also high pH levels will cause fin curling as well and it's not guaranteed to come uncurled even when being in great water for long term. I have a DT with his ventrals curled and I've had him for about 2.5 months now and his fins still have yet to uncurl and his pH level is at 6.5.

Daily water changes is so wonderful too, that's really key in healing fin rot, also warm water. Also do you dissolve your salt before putting it in?
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #6 
kev

What a beauty!
kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #7 
Rosencrantz32

Thanks everyone!

I've been adding 1 tsp of salt per gallon since I read on here that was what you can put in for fin rot. And yes it is completely dissolved before its added to his tank.

I read that high pH levels can curl fins. The pH here is pretty high (7.8-8) so I guess that could be all that it is... I was just surprised because it almost looks like he has ruffles on his fins!
Old 06-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ah okay, that's good! Glad you're doing the 1 tsp/gal

Well I hope he gets better soon then! I'm sure he loves his new home ^_^
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #9 
Rosencrantz32

He likes it more than being in a small cup surrounded by other males, that's for sure! He's still pretty wary of me and he HATES water changes, but hopefully that will just get better with time. My other boy had always been pretty outgoing so it's weird getting used to this reserved little guy.

And it looks like his name is going to be Cyrus. My other boy (the guy in my avatar) is Xerxes, so I guess we're doing a Persian kings theme lol
Old 06-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #10 
Rosencrantz32

He is definitely happier. He's well on his way to becoming as big a glutton as Xerxes and he's starting to swim towards me when I'm near the tank (though that my be because I control the food).
As for his fins... I have a feeling there is more missing from his tail than when I brought him home. I've caught him bending in half a couple times to "examine the tattered ends." I wonder if he's biting them...

I swear... the little bugger knows when I'm trying to take pictures and deliberately swims like a mad-fish so all of them will come out blurry >.<
But persistence won out in the end!

6/18/13

"Haha! No pics for you!"

Excuse my phone's reflection in the last one. It shows his tail pretty well though...

And a couple of Xerxes because he loves to pose and was flaring away for no reason (well probably at his reflection... but he'll just flare sometimes because he can :P). Also because he is my baby and I think he's gorgeous!