Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #1 
VegasShimmer

Bioload max on my tanks?

I have two divided, fairly heavy planted 10g tanks.

For each 10g, I have two average bettas, two sm-med mystery snails, two small otos, and one ghost shrimp. Is this too much of a bioload for a 10g? They have been running nicely for a month since the last cleaning (I had a nitrite spike and fin rot issue, so I tore each one down, keeping the filter media wet and undisturbed), with 0 readings in ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, etc. I do 25% water changes every 10-14 days.

Should I get rid of the snails? The otos seem to do a better job in cleaning any algae (which grows on the screen, but is now to a minimum). I was also wanting some Amano shrimp in the near future, but realize I would probably get rid of all snails before that.

I also have a 6.6g divided, with two bettas and one oto. No snails.

And last is a 5g with one betta, one snail, and one oto.

Note: Before I am told that otos prefer groups, I know that. However, they are doing fine and seem to be happy sucking on everything in sight. They have been in the tanks for 6-8 weeks, and seem fine.
VegasShimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #2 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasShimmer View Post
I have two divided, fairly heavy planted 10g tanks.

For each 10g, I have two average bettas, two sm-med mystery snails, two small otos, and one ghost shrimp. Is this too much of a bioload for a 10g? They have been running nicely for a month since the last cleaning (I had a nitrite spike and fin rot issue, so I tore each one down, keeping the filter media wet and undisturbed), with 0 readings in ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, etc. I do 25% water changes every 10-14 days.

Should I get rid of the snails? The otos seem to do a better job in cleaning any algae (which grows on the screen, but is now to a minimum). I was also wanting some Amano shrimp in the near future, but realize I would probably get rid of all snails before that.

I also have a 6.6g divided, with two bettas and one oto. No snails.

And last is a 5g with one betta, one snail, and one oto.

Note: Before I am told that otos prefer groups, I know that. However, they are doing fine and seem to be happy sucking on everything in sight. They have been in the tanks for 6-8 weeks, and seem fine.
the otos in each of your tanks might be a bit much, but depending on how heavily planted the tanks are, you might be able to get away with it. I think you will definitely have to take the oto out of the 5 gallon though....You should be doing weekly (every 7 days) 50% water changes. 25% every 10-14 days isn't enough.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #3 
VegasShimmer

A weekly 50% change on a filtered/planted 10g? Isn't that a bit much, and it could interfere with cycling and water parameters? I was told 10% weekly for best results, or at the least 25% monthly. I met in the middle, and do 25% approximately every two weeks (averages 50% monthly).

You would suggest taking out otos over snails?
VegasShimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #4 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasShimmer View Post
A weekly 50% change on a filtered/planted 10g? Isn't that a bit much, and it could interfere with cycling and water parameters? I was told 10% weekly for best results, or at the least 25% monthly. I met in the middle, and do 25% approximately every two weeks (averages 50% monthly).

You would suggest taking out otos over snails?
It shouldn't interfere with the cycle, but you could change maybe 30% once a week. It would be easier if I could see a picture of your tanks so I can see how planted they are.

I don't know too much about snails, but I think the fish would have a bigger bioload than the snail (bettas are exceptions lol). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...
Old 06-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu

I check my water parameters once or twice a week and if all is well, I do a 10% change every other week. Shrimp are breeding; CPOs are happy and healthy, Bettas are active and the TMC still come out at night.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:39 PM   #6 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
I check my water parameters once or twice a week and if all is well, I do a 10% change every other week. Shrimp are breeding; CPOs are happy and healthy, Bettas are active and the TMC still come out at night.
Oops guess I was wrong. I don't really know much about planted tanks so sorry about that /:
Old 06-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #7 
RussellTheShihTzu

Read my signature. Don't apologize. You're not wrong; you just have a different experience. ^smile^
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote