Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #1 
Deanna01

Possible hardscape layout for 55g sorority

I'm thinking of this possible hardscape layout for my new 55g sorority tank. I got a piece of mountain stone from the woods out back, and it's shaped just right so that if I put a mound of dirt at the "golden rule" point one-third of the way from the left, it makes a wonderful large cave for the girls. I will likely anchor some type of moss to the stone and put a tall, reddish plant behind it at that one-third point.

I have two pieces of driftwood that fit nicely together to create two more hides against the right wall. I think they can be placed there without stealing the focal point from the rock.

Does anyone have any suggestions for plants, and where to place them? What do you think of the layout? (Forgive all the garage stuff in back. I'm doing the initial work out there. )
Attached Images

Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Very nice! Perhaps some smaller rocks to just embed in the substrate around the middle part or just towards the front in general?

As for red plants I'd go with either the Purple Cabomda or Red Rotala, both great plants. Or get both! lol that would be really awesome with the Purple Cabomda really tall towards the back and the Red rotala framing the rock but not getting quite as tall as the rock. Both are low light plants initially as well but to bring out the red you need a high light, but I'm sure you know
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #3 
Deanna01

Hm. I have another, smaller piece of mountain stone that I could lean against the first, more centered, angled toward the front, to create yet another small hide....
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Mmmmm...looks too linear to me. Of course being an Art Major I hate when things line up like that, it does give a focal point but it's also going to throw off the balance of the driftwood on the other side....hmm can you lean it up against the other side of the rock but in front so that the slope of the smaller one is facing us? This will give two "triangular" shapes, the driftwood makes an upside down one that but that's fine haha. Does that make sense at all?

Of course if it looks good to you, that's what is important so if you want to keep it there that's totally fine as well ^_^
Old 06-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #5 
Deanna01

Do you mean something like this, Lil? That puts the focal point a little farther to the left than I want it, but I could play around with the substrate to move the whole thing to the right and fix that....
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Almost, I meant so that it was literally up front. Sooo turn it to lean on the edge that is facing is and let the rock slant towards you. Make sense? Hard to tell over the interwebs lol

But yes you could also shove it over to the right more to center it a little more. Of course what I'm suggesting will put some fish out of sight if you do decide to do it.

Is it possible you can flip the driftwood upside down so that the branching part is in the substrate? I think that might give a cool "mandrake" root effect if you like. Or you can do the "Island" aquascape where you literally make an island so most of it would just be piled in the middle and have plants all in that spot, leaving a ring around the edge of the tank.

Or you can move it all to one side to make it seem like a slope, in that case I'd have everything piled to the left and when it's planted do Dwarf Hairgrass for a great carpet on the right side with lots of tall plants on the left and angled down towards the right til you get to the carpet. But I know DHG hasn't always worked out for you lol