Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #1 
Kj101712
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Question Betta lump on one side having problems swimming

Hello, so I noticed a lump of my betta skittles side a few weeks ago but was told not to worry about it unless he stopped being active and happy. Well he was fine but last night I noticed him just sitting at the bottom of his tank, he won't move unless he needs to head to the surface for air, he reacts happy when he sees me but its like it takes all the energy out of him and he sinks quickly to the bottom
Of the tank. The lump is on his right side and only that one side, the scales appear raised but not in a severe amount. When he swims it is very strained like he uses all his energy to go forward and has to keep swimming in quick bursts. He sits at the bottom of his tank or on leaves all day long. Ill post again later if he eats anything tonight or not as yesterday I did not feed him. But the day before he was eating like a little pig with no problems.

I don't think it's a problem of over feeding as the lump is on his side and it doesn't appear to be an over feeding problem, but I'm no expert. If anyone has any ideas please let me know, I really like my betta fish and want to keep the little guy as happy and healthy as I can. I just changed his water but there's no changes yet.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Here are the answers to the questions about my tank:

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Nutrafin blood worms and betta food
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day for 6 days out of the week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2 times per week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25/50 for one and 100 for the other
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? A lump on the side, middle of his body, fins clamped
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Sits at bottom of his tank, won't swim and when he does swim its very strained. When at the surface he sinks to the bottom after a short amount of time very quickly.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Noticed lump a few weeks ago, noticed other symptoms yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 year
Kj101712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #2 
creame172
Member
 
creame172's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kj101712 View Post
Hello, so I noticed a lump of my betta skittles side a few weeks ago but was told not to worry about it unless he stopped being active and happy. Well he was fine but last night I noticed him just sitting at the bottom of his tank, he won't move unless he needs to head to the surface for air, he reacts happy when he sees me but its like it takes all the energy out of him and he sinks quickly to the bottom
Of the tank. The lump is on his right side and only that one side, the scales appear raised but not in a severe amount. When he swims it is very strained like he uses all his energy to go forward and has to keep swimming in quick bursts. He sits at the bottom of his tank or on leaves all day long. Ill post again later if he eats anything tonight or not as yesterday I did not feed him. But the day before he was eating like a little pig with no problems.

I don't think it's a problem of over feeding as the lump is on his side and it doesn't appear to be an over feeding problem, but I'm no expert. If anyone has any ideas please let me know, I really like my betta fish and want to keep the little guy as happy and healthy as I can. I just changed his water but there's no changes yet.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Here are the answers to the questions about my tank:

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Nutrafin blood worms and betta food
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day for 6 days out of the week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2 times per week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25/50 for one and 100 for the other
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? A lump on the side, middle of his body, fins clamped
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Sits at bottom of his tank, won't swim and when he does swim its very strained. When at the surface he sinks to the bottom after a short amount of time very quickly.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Noticed lump a few weeks ago, noticed other symptoms yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 year
from what you tell us it sounds most like swim bladder disease to me. that would explain a bloated belly and why he is having trouble swimming. the swim bladder is right against betta fishs' stomachs so when they get too full, it can press on the swim bladder and cause them to float or sink. if you are feeding him once a day, he may be getting too much all at once. if this is what is wrong, fast him for three days and when you begin feeding again, break his usual amount into 2-3 feedings a day instead of all at once.

but i cant be sure without knowing what kind of lump is it? is it cottony or just looks like he swallowed something large? any discolor? if it is a fungal infection it will look cottony and explain his clamped fins.

if his scales are raised it could be dropsy, which you want to treat immediately(if it is what he has) because it can be fatal. symptoms for this are bloated belly, raised scales/pineconing, gray belly, swollen eyes, clamped fins and of course lethargic.

are there any red blotches, sores, or white dots on him?
creame172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:00 PM   #3 
Kj101712
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Thank you for your reply. I am going to try to take a couple pictures so you can see. It sounds like it might be dropsy, could you tell me what possible treatments are for it so I can be prepared if it is?
Kj101712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:13 PM   #4 
Kj101712
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013




Kj101712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #5 
creame172
Member
 
creame172's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kj101712 View Post
Thank you for your reply. I am going to try to take a couple pictures so you can see. It sounds like it might be dropsy, could you tell me what possible treatments are for it so I can be prepared if it is?
youre welcome :)

Dropsy is an internal bacterial infection that can lead to organ failure. Swollen eyes and gray belly are usually the first symptoms you see.

Epsom salt: 1-2 tsp/gal of water
Jungle's Anti-Parasite pellets(which i have not found in petco/petsmart but yours may have it if you dont already) or other metronidazole.
do 100% daily water changes and raise temp to 84*F


you can do just the above, but If your fish is already pineconing, i would do meds as well. use ONE of the following meds. mixing meds is dangerous if you plan on trying, research it first.
API general cure
API erythromyan
you can also add Maracyn to the med you choose to use.

be sure this is what he has you dont want to medicate him if you dont have to it can cause stress.
creame172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:17 PM   #6 
Kj101712
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
I am not sure if my pictures are showing up or not but I took some and tried to post them. However I don't have a large pet retailer near me. I have a small total pet store which carries none of those items :( is there anything I can do?
Kj101712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #7 
creame172
Member
 
creame172's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kj101712 View Post
I am not sure if my pictures are showing up or not but I took some and tried to post them. However I don't have a large pet retailer near me. I have a small total pet store which carries none of those items :( is there anything I can do?
you can try just the salt etc(the things i listed before the meds) or get on amazon.com. they probably have everything you need, just search for the names specifically "API General cure" because sometimes it wont find the items right away. try to get them to you as soon as possible. while you are waiting, i would treat for swim bladder disease in case it is that. he probably isnt eating anyways so it wont hurt anything.
creame172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:23 PM   #8 
creame172
Member
 
creame172's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee
the pictures are not showing up. try tinypic.com that's what i use. but its not actually the http// you copy. i think its the one that says "for forums"
creame172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #9 
Kj101712
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
I am using tinypic but I'm really unfamiliar with it
Kj101712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #10 
creame172
Member
 
creame172's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee
you just copy from tinypic and then paste.
creame172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
betta, lump, sick, swimming odd

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lump on Betta's Side? mudpie Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 35 08-02-2013 08:23 AM
Suddenly Sick! Lump on side and swimming weird! BettysBetta Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 11 12-07-2012 04:46 AM
Suddenly Sick! Lump on side and swimming weird! BettysBetta Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 1 12-05-2012 08:32 PM
lump on betta's side dragonflower Betta Fish Care 2 06-22-2012 10:10 PM
Betta has a lump on his side (Not sure what it is) Sky Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 26 06-29-2011 11:14 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.