Let me begin with some background information here. I recently bought a new fish at PetSmart, Emperor Catullus. While there, I also got very attached to a yellow double tail whom I named General Agrippa. I was very torn over whether to buy Catullus or Agrippa, but I ended up getting Tully.
I was worried about Agrippaís health because I noticed he had a very visible red vein running across his body, and I could see red behind his fins. I've been thinking about him ever since I left on Thursday and decided to do some research. I found this disease septicemia, which sounds like what Agrippa has. Iím no expert though, so I would like to know if you guys believe the red vein is that disease.
I actually first saw Agrippa three weeks ago when I came back home from college. He had just arrived at PetSmart, and I was drawn to his unique color. I have no idea if he had the disease at that point or not.
Iím thinking about adopting Agrippa and trying to cure him of this disease. Heís such a cute little guy and heís been on my mind. I have a 2.5 gallon tank that my former fish, Pontus Rex use to live in. Pontus had fin rot before he died, so I would need to clean the tank with bleach before I could put Agrippa in there.
My questions are:
1. Does he even have septicemia? Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures of him to show. I may be able to get some after work tomorrow.
2. Is this rescue even worth my while? Iím worried that if heís had this disease for too long, thereís no saving him, and Iíll just get my heart broken.
3. How would I even begin to treat septicemia?
4. Is there ANY possible chance my fish Catullus could catch this infection?(I wouldnít put them in the same tank.)
5. Is it safe to use bleach water to clean the 2.5 gallon tank? This is what the people at PetSmart said they do after a fish gets fin rot.
Sorry for all the questions. I just want to be well informed and prepared before I invest financially and emotionally in this endeavor.