Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2013, 10:52 PM   #1 
Rayner

I think I have a sick Fish.

Hello,
I'm needing some advice about my Betta Fish, Thursday.

I've had him for roughly a year now, and he's been all good until yesterday.

When I went to feed him, I noticed that he wasn't swimming straight, and when he swam to the surface he would kinda dash to the top, and then sink down for a bit.

I noticed that the water was cold (Stupid Winter), I checked the Heater, and it was broken, so I went to get a new one.

The problem with the new heater was that it was for a 3l tank (Thursday is in a 6-8l tank... not really sure) and it wasn't heating the water.

So today I went to a different shop, the lady there sold me a heater that goes into the tank, but is for a 20-40l tank (she recommended it over the 8-20l heater)
She also told me that I could put a little bit of sea salt into his tank to see if that helps him.

So I have the heater in the tank (Keeping an Eye on it so it doesn't make the tank too hot, I have a thermometer in there)

Is this all I can do to help him?
I have noticed that his gills (and around that area) are black, not sure if that's normal or not.
Rayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #2 
cheylillymama

Can you post a picture?

Is he bloated? What temperature is the water at now?
cheylillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #3 
creame172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayner View Post
Hello,
I'm needing some advice about my Betta Fish, Thursday.

I've had him for roughly a year now, and he's been all good until yesterday.

When I went to feed him, I noticed that he wasn't swimming straight, and when he swam to the surface he would kinda dash to the top, and then sink down for a bit.

I noticed that the water was cold (Stupid Winter), I checked the Heater, and it was broken, so I went to get a new one.

The problem with the new heater was that it was for a 3l tank (Thursday is in a 6-8l tank... not really sure) and it wasn't heating the water.

So today I went to a different shop, the lady there sold me a heater that goes into the tank, but is for a 20-40l tank (she recommended it over the 8-20l heater)
She also told me that I could put a little bit of sea salt into his tank to see if that helps him.

So I have the heater in the tank (Keeping an Eye on it so it doesn't make the tank too hot, I have a thermometer in there)

Is this all I can do to help him?
I have noticed that his gills (and around that area) are black, not sure if that's normal or not.
do 100% water changes, especially if you are putting salt in. dont mix aquarium salt and meds! epsom salt is supposed to be alright to mix, but i would double check. dont treat with salt for more than 10 consecutive days. you can give him API stress coat. it helps healing.
creame172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #4 
Rayner

Sorry about the angel... the tank is round.

He doesn't seem Bloated...
The tank is at 22C

I also just noticed the green on his fin (you can see it in the pic)

Quote:
do 100% water changes, especially if you are putting salt in. dont mix aquarium salt and meds! epsom salt is supposed to be alright to mix, but i would double check. dont treat with salt for more than 10 consecutive days. you can give him API stress coat. it helps healing.
I don't understand a few of those, like epsom salt, and API stress coat.
Aquarium Salt, that is the same as sea salt right?
Old 06-17-2013, 11:29 PM   #5 
cheylillymama

Ok if my math is right, 22celcius comes out to 71.6 degrees ferenheight?

Which is too cold. bettas are actually a tropical fish and require a steady temp of 78-82 degrees.
i notice your heater is a heating pad. Can you upgrade the tank in size a bit and get an adjustable heater?

Aquarium salt is used for external.issues like fin rot.
Epsom salt is for internal issues like bloat, constipation, parasites.
How often and how much of the water do you change? I think he may just be cold honestly.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #6 
creame172

Epsom salt, Aquarium salt, and API stress coat are sold at most pet stores. Sea salt is different than Aquarium salt, so i wouldnt use it for my freshwater fish. something about the region it was taken from.
API is a brand. the stress coat comes in a bottle and is a liquid. the aquarium salt i have is API as well, and comes in a box like a milk carton. i have yet to find Epsom salt where i live, so i couldnt tell you what it looks like.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #7 
cheylillymama

Epsom salt= pure magnesium sulfate. Looks like rock salt.

I can buy it at any pharmacy or any big box store like walmart where i live.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #8 
creame172

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheylillymama View Post
Epsom salt= pure magnesium sulfate. Looks like rock salt.

I can buy it at any pharmacy or any big box store like walmart where i live.
ooh! then i will look there for it thanks.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #9 
creame172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayner View Post

Sorry about the angel... the tank is round.

He doesn't seem Bloated...
The tank is at 22C

I also just noticed the green on his fin (you can see it in the pic)

Aquarium Salt, that is the same as sea salt right?
Aquarium Salt, that is the same as sea salt right?[/quote]

the green on his fin- is it just faded or discoloration? or does it shine gold when you shine a light on it? if it does, watch out for velvet. it looks like a gold/rusty dust on their body, and they will have clamped fins no appetite, and will rub against things like they are itchy.

but if your water temp is below 78, i think Chey could be right and he is just cold.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #10 
Rayner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheylillymama View Post
Ok if my math is right, 22celcius comes out to 71.6 degrees ferenheight?

Which is too cold. bettas are actually a tropical fish and require a steady temp of 78-82 degrees.
i notice your heater is a heating pad. Can you upgrade the tank in size a bit and get an adjustable heater?

Aquarium salt is used for external.issues like fin rot.
Epsom salt is for internal issues like bloat, constipation, parasites.
How often and how much of the water do you change? I think he may just be cold honestly.
Something like that, I do live in Australia, but Luck for me the thermometer has both Celcius and Ferenheight, I'll try my best to include the Ferenheight.

I just checked the Temp again, and it's slowly rising, it's roughly 22C(71F) he's liking the new heater.

The Heating pad is the one I brought yesterday, it wasn't doing a good enough job, I had it in over night, and it didn't warm the water that well. I have a Hydor Heater (http://www.hydor.com/prodotti/show/famprod/10/list/3) the 15w one, which (from what I'm reading on the site) is for 20l Tanks, I hope that it doesn't over heat my 6-8l tank too much, I'm checking it every 15 mins or so just in case.

I have been slack with the water treatment, and don't change it as often as I should... the Reason we called him Thursday was so we could remember when to change his water :p... and the day we got him :p

I do hope that it's just him being cold, as I said before, it's winter here, and the days a only slightly warmer then the Nights.

is there any way to tell if he is sick and not just cold?