Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #1 
bradleyjames77

Unhappy forst betta-very inactive

I bought my forst betta 2 days ago.I have him in a 10 gallon tank with filter live plant (I forget the name but the guy at pet smart recomended it) a nice log for him to hide in an algea eater and a heater, the water temp. Is around 78F. I conditioned the qater and all let it run for 6 hours then put him..he was very active at first but the next morning he was just lying on his side and only moving to swim to the top for air..he doesnt even eat..why may this be?
bradleyjames77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #2 
creame172

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyjames77 View Post
I bought my forst betta 2 days ago.I have him in a 10 gallon tank with filter live plant (I forget the name but the guy at pet smart recomended it) a nice log for him to hide in an algea eater and a heater, the water temp. Is around 78F. I conditioned the qater and all let it run for 6 hours then put him..he was very active at first but the next morning he was just lying on his side and only moving to swim to the top for air..he doesnt even eat..why may this be?
i think its just stress. after being in that little cup for so long and now all the sudden he has a huge tank all to himself, i'd be bewildered too lol. did you add a water conditioner to the water and acclimate your fish to the temp of his new home? it is possible he had an illness before you bought him as well. make sure the filter is not creating too much current. bettas are not fantastic swimmers they like to just hang out and chill.
creame172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:12 AM   #3 
bradleyjames77

I used water conditioners and I let the bag float on the tank for maybe am hour, I bought a new undergravel filter today which I just got set up for him so hopefully that'll make him a little more comfortable
Old 06-18-2013, 12:13 AM   #4 
bradleyjames77

Amd thats seriously all he does is hang out amd chill, its the not eating that gets me..its going on day 3 and he hasnt ate a single pellet
Old 06-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #5 
Saphira101

Did you say that you have an algae eater, or plecostomus in the tank?

Most types of pleco grow to over a foot, and need a tank way larger than 10 gallons. I'd advise you to return it to the store, unless you can find it a huge enough tank.

EDIT: What temperature is your tank? Can you post a picture?
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:49 AM   #6 
creame172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphira101 View Post
Did you say that you have an algae eater, or plecostomus in the tank?

Most types of pleco grow to over a foot, and need a tank way larger than 10 gallons. I'd advise you to return it to the store, unless you can find it a huge enough tank.

EDIT: What temperature is your tank? Can you post a picture?
it should be ok for a while. ive had several plecos in my ten gallon and it takes them a while to grow, not to mention the smaller the container, the slower and less they grow
Old 06-18-2013, 12:50 AM   #7 
creame172

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyjames77 View Post
Amd thats seriously all he does is hang out amd chill, its the not eating that gets me..its going on day 3 and he hasnt ate a single pellet
give him a few days it may just be that he is overwhelmed with the big space you have given him. :) especially if he has no other symptoms.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:05 AM   #8 
Fin Fancier

Try giving your betta plenty of hiding spots. A fish that can't hide when its nervous is a stressed one, and therefore more prone to disease. If you don't have a cave or a more densely planted area of the tank try adding one. Some bettas are more shy than others, if you give him a place to hide he might perk up a bit.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #9 
bradleyjames77

It isnt a pleco, its a smaller breed of algea eater it should only get 3-4 inches, this morning he was just floating vertically in the tank, he was still alive and breathing, the water temp was at 82 this morning! Idk if that may be to warm? And I have a fairly densely planted area which he seemed to like so far and a log for him to swim in which he never touched and ill post a picture when I go home for lunch
Old 06-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #10 
Laki

The water temp is fine.

He might have come from the store with a disease, or the plants or algae eater might have.

He might have such heavy fins that he never learned how to swim so once he was put in a 10g he just couldn't make it (this, if he's a heavy finned betta like Doubletail, halfmoon, deltatail etc). Remember these fish are bred for fins and they are reared in small cups so as not to shred the fins before sale.

You might have shocked him if he is used to living in dirty crappy water from the store. A sudden shock into clean pristine water with plants and a filter and stuff might have overloaded his health.

If you have access to indian almond leaves or oak leaves rinse a few and add them to the tank. If you don't have those, Tetra brand makes blackwater extract. Use some of that in a small cup/tank which you will put the betta in (floating in the 10g so the water remains the same temp) hopefully the blackwater helps him feel a bit better.

Is he gasping?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote