Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2013, 01:47 AM   #1 
Horangi

is my tank to small?

i have a 2.5 gl tank home to my Artemus and i think sometimes he gets lonely. I was thinking of getting him a tankmate for him to play with but since i know my tank is on the small side would that be possible? i was thinking maybe a type of shrimp or a snail? would my tank be able to hold this?
Horangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:04 AM   #2 
Mankey

I think 2.5 gallons should be good enough for a shrimp or two, as long as you keep up with your water changes. I'm pretty sure a snail would increase the ammonia by too much. Of course, I'm not even 100% sure if 2.5 gallons would even be enough for more than just your betta.
Mankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:10 AM   #3 
Dwarden3

You might be able to get a ghost shrimp. I would get it and check the ammonia levels. It you see that the ammonia levels are getting to high, you will need to do more water changes, or rehome the shrimp. Also, he might eat the shrimp.
Dwarden3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #4 
hopeful fish

You could just upgrade to a 5 gallon. Your betta would be happier, and you wouldn't have to worry that a shrimp or snail might be too much.
hopeful fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

Personally, I would not add any other inhabitants to a 2.5g.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #6 
Sylerwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Personally, I would not add any other inhabitants to a 2.5g.
This. If you upgrade to a 5 or 10 gallon, your options just open up for tank mates.
Sylerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #7 
sassyfriend

What if her family won't let her get bigger tanks like mine won't?
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #8 
xfrequentflyerx

Then use the 2.5 gallon tank with a fish divider if you have or want two male bettas or two female bettas.
xfrequentflyerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #9 
LizbethDawn

I think some fish get "depressed" for a couple of reasons. One I've seen is not enough light and the second being that I think these fish like to think they have a territory they are protecting, especially the boys. You could try getting a second betta in a second tank and put them where they can see each other.

When I had Gannicus and Castiel Gannicus would get depressed and sluggish and just hang around his log all day. At one point I was moving furniture and moved him next to Castiel and noticed that after they got over flaring at each other Gannicus was much more active and even built his first bubble nest. The boys could see the "threat" enough that they got to "guard" their territory but obviously they couldn't get to each other.

If you can't have a second betta find something he'll flare at and react to. Some things I've had work were pens tips, mirrors, pictures of bettas, videos of bettas and Cas even flared at my daughters little Big Mac MLP toy. Just give him exercise and a reason to move around for a little bit each day.
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #10 
peachii

I have a mystery snail in all my small tanks to help keep the plants clean and algae off the glass. They are heavily planted and the bettas don't seem to mind them. Clown will occasionally flare at his snail but he flares at everything, even the plants.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote