Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2009, 01:32 PM   #1 
megphimu22

Help! Is this normal??

So I did a full water change today because it was about that time. Since I've done the water change he hasn't been swimming around as much and spends a lot of time at the bottom. He did come up and eat though when I put food in there. I checked the water and everything was normal. I've got a heater and it's the right temp. It's a 3 gallon tank. Help! Will he get back to his old self?
megphimu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:39 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sometimes mine wll act kind of funny for a couple hours after a water change. If you had to chase him aound with a net, it may b that he's just tired and a bit stressed from the water change.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:42 PM   #3 
megphimu22

ok, hopefully that's it.. i did have to net him- even though i hate doing it... he seemed a bit stressed. i hope it passes though!
Old 01-25-2009, 01:59 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, they don't appreciate being chased around but it's necessary when you change the water. Some people use the little cups that they came in instead of nets. Just keep an eye on him.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #5 
Kim

Did you treat the water? Was it the same pH (this can change over time so I suggest you test both aged and fresh water), temp., etc.?

In the future I suggest you use either a cup or one of those really fine nets (maybe they are the brine shrimp ones? I know they sell some for bettas) to aviod damaging his fins. I always use cups for mine if I have to move them.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:35 PM   #6 
megphimu22

Kim- yes I treated the water and everything was the same as last time, I've got consistent water so that's good. I put the appropriate amount of drops of the water conditioner stuff and a few drops of that blue medicine to prevent illness. I'm gonna keep an eye on him but hopefully he's just tired. The net I have is not rough at all, it's very soft so hopefully I have the one you're talking about. Ok, back to studying! I'm in nursing school and I've got a HUGE test tomorrow! yikes!
Old 01-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good luck with your test. :)
Old 01-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #8 
megphimu22

thanks! i'm going to need it!! of course i have to be in the hardest class of nursing school... ugh!
Old 01-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Nursing school sounds hard! Do you have lots of science and biology classes?
Old 01-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #10 
megphimu22

yeah, you mainly have the "general education" sciences out of the way before you hit clinicals- like biology, anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology and chemistry... I've been in clinicals for 2 semesters now, so I am actually in the hospital working with patients! It's definately tough, they expect us to know SOOOOO much!

My test tomorrow is on fluid & electrolytes- so I have to know the signs/symptoms, causes, treatments, & nursing interventions of the highs AND lows of sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphate, and chloride. Also, respiratory acidosis and alkalosis and metabolic acidosis and alkalosis. And a ton more. It's also on Diabetes, Type 1 & 2... So we have to know all the causes, signs & symptoms of those and hypo- and hyperglycemia as well as how to treat it and what nurses can do. AND the test is also on peri-operative care, which is pre surgery, during surgery and post surgery, so we have to know complications, anesthesia, etc... UGH! not fun... it all jumbles together and my brain is mush right now! haha