Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #1 
jana63

Would you mind looking at this?

Hi, everyone,

I'm just learning as I go....

Gosh, I feel bad, I guess I'm not very observant... but I noticed the fins on my Betta today (see pics). I'm sure his upper fins (sorry I don't know names) was bigger than that when I got him.....

He is very friendly, makes bubble nests every time I change the water - I usually do a 50% WC and then a 100% each week.... 1 1/2 gallon vase with no filter.

I figured Fin Rot would come with behavioral symptoms, but I guess not.

I don't notice any dark area at all on the ends.... Fins are just disappearing (I think). Do they look shorter than they should be to you? I have another Betta in his own bowl....same set up....and he seems fine.

Water has been about 79-80 degrees constant (without heater, I live in the south).

So starting tonight I'm doing daily changes, 1 teaspoon aquarium salt for each gallon of water and I put in a heater to raise temp to 82 degrees. I'm going to watch the heater carefully, though, because in a 1 1/2 gallon bowl, I just don't want it to get too hot.

Do you think it's Fin Rot? Any other suggestions?

Should I just compare pictures in a week, or will it take longer for me to notice any healing?

Please advise.

Thank you so much. I am SO glad this place is here.

Last edited by jana63; 06-21-2013 at 09:47 PM.
jana63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #2 
sainthogan

He could be biting (yes, they can bite their dorsal fins - the ones on top), or he could be getting it caught on something. Do you have plastic or silk flowers in his bowl? And what about decorations, do any of them have sharp edges he could be getting caught on? It's always a good idea to do the pantyhose test on anything you are going to put in with a Betta. Basically, you take a pair of pantyhose and rub it all over the plant or decoration, if it snags, even just a little bit, it's too sharp for your Betta.
Oh, and yes, aquarium salt is fine, just don't do it longer than 14 days.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #3 
Seki

It looks like he's biting to me. Sadly, there isn't a whole lot we as fish keepers can do to stop our fish from biting their fins off. But I would suggest getting him into a larger tank (vases don't provide much room for them to breathe at the surface) and maybe putting in more decor so he has more to swim through and explore. Sometimes fish bite their own tails because they are bored... sometimes it is from stress... sometimes they are just little buggers who do it seemingly for no reason.

Just keep his water very clean and I would discontinue the salt. Aquarium salt isn't safe to use for more than ten or so days at a time. It can damage the betta's labyrinth organ, which is used to breathe air from the surface.

I had a tailbiter before, and it was such a shame, the way he chewed off his gorgeous doubletail. I wish you the best of luck with your little guy!
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #4 
jana63

Ohhhh, thank you so much for bringing that up! I had a plastic plant in the tank, but after reading here that silk would be better, I got a silk plant at Petco. I was little concerned that the plant still had a plastic stem, with just silk leaves, but I figured since the leaves were silk it would be okay. The fish LOVES the plant and lays in it ALL the TIME! However, I did notice tonight when I was changing the water that the plant did seem a little rough still. Hmmmm, maybe that's it.

Will his fins grow back if I take out the plant? I wonder why the other one doesn't have any ripped fins if he's in the same set up and LOVES his plant, too? I guess they are just different fish - the one with shorter fins definitely is more active in the tank, so maybe that's the problem.

Anyway, thanks again.... I'll try removing the plant (he's gonna be so sad!) and see if that helps.... I hope he starts to grow back his fins soon!
Old 06-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #5 
Seki

I honestly don't think it's the plant. You would see rips, not the shortening you're seeing in those pictures. I think he is tailbiting. I would not remove the plant. He will become stressed if he has nowhere to hide, and that may cause him to bite more.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #6 
jana63

Oh, so maybe he is bored and biting.... okay... well, I have a 2 1/2 gallon filtered tank, but I had put a previous Betta in it and he HATED the filter and was so much happier in the vase (go figure)....so I just assumed that the filter was just too much. Of course, duh, I could have just kept him in the tank WITHOUT the filter....geez, I'm not usually this brainless.....

I just figured this little guy was happy since he did all the bubble blowing.....

I wonder why I've never seen him bite? I guess even sitting here on the desk where I am so much I can't see everything....

Gosh, okay, well then I will try the other tank.

Thank you SOOOO much for the input!!!
Old 06-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #7 
sainthogan

If he's fin biting, taking the plant out could make it worse. Bettas LOVE places to hide and play in and if you take out the thing he loves the most and not replace it with something else, he's going to get very stressed.
I just suggest to feel it for sharp edges before getting rid of it. I do think it looks more like biting though. Biting is usually defined by cleanly cut edges. Where as snagging on decorations or plants looks ragged and torn.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #8 
sainthogan

Oh, and just a word of advice on bubble nest building. Happiness and health have nothing to do with it. Many, many years ago, my best friend's sister had a Betta in a 4oz cup. She hardly ever changed the water, and it was so dirty in there you could hardly see him, yet he had a huge nest that overflowed the cup. And the very rare times that she did change the water, he would immediately build another nest until it over flowed the cup. He only lived about 3 months.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #9 
jana63

Oh, okay, you are right - he would not like me taking away his plant....and I don't see any rips or anything. Gosh, the little bugger!!!!

I'm going to change him tomorrow to the bigger tank but keep all his same decor in it. It should fit just fine and it'll give him more room.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #10 
jana63

Wow!!! Thank you so much for the bubble blowing info!!! I truly had NO idea at all! That is really interesting.

Okay, well everyday I seem to get more knowledgeable, thanks to all of you WONDERFUL people here, so I'll just keep reading and muddle through..... :)

Thank you AGAIN for this insight!!!