Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2013, 12:18 AM   #1 
bcollins

Is this fin rot?

So, I was out of town for two days and came home tonight after a concert. I left my fish, Chip, with my sister and he was fine before I left. I got home at about 12:30 and went to feed Chip but he was laying in one of the plants, motionless. I was extremely worried that he had passed away because my sister didn't properly care for him. Tentatively, I put my finger in the tank (he associates my finger with food now) and gently touched him. He barely flinched and swam upwards. Normally if I put my finger near him he'd flare up at it, but he seemed too tired. I dropped the pellet in and he ignored it, which he normally does until after I give him his bloodworms. So I gave him his bloodworms and he looked up at them. It seemed as though it took him a ton of effort to swim to the surface of the water to get his food, and he ended up spitting it out anyway. Then I noticed that it looked like his skin on his fins was being peeled off. Now he is laying on his hammock.

I am so worried that it may be fin rot and it's too late for me to reverse it. If you do recognize what's wrong with him, please help me soon so I can pick up whatever he needs from the store tomorrow. It's currently 1:16 in the morning, and I don't have any nitrate/etc. tests with me. If they're necessary I will buy some along with whatever anyone suggests.

I still can't believe how attached I've become to this fish; I used to think fish were pointless but after caring for Chip I've realized that every fish really does have its own personality.

Housing
What size is your tank?
2 gallons
What temperature is your tank?
70 degrees Fahrenheit
Does your tank have a filter?
no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
no
Is your tank heated?
no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
I give it betta pellets (by Wardley Essentials) and some dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish?
1 pellet & 2 or 3 bloodworms twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Water conditioner (by Jungle)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
no

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
yes, his fins seem to be peeling back
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
he is swimming around extremely slowly, normally when I come near the tank he gets very excited and swims around
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
no
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
not that I know of
How old is your fish (approximately)?
I got him as a gift 3 months ago, other than that I don't have a clue
Attached Images

Last edited by bcollins; 06-21-2013 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Picture wasn't showing up right
bcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:51 AM   #2 
jona31

maybe if there was a clearer picture hmmm it looks like the beginning stages of fin rot not to sure hmmmm go and buy some fin rot treatment and if you dont have already buy a heater thats mandatory fin rot is usual caused by to cold or to dirty water I have dealt with fin rot and it's not fun Buying a heater was one of the best things I ever did anyways i'm pretty sure thats fin rot good luck
jona31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:05 AM   #3 
bcollins

Thank you so much for your help, my tank is plastic, will the heater melt the walls of it?
Old 06-21-2013, 01:29 AM   #4 
jona31

no it will be just fine
Old 06-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #5 
sainthogan

In addition to the wonderful advice the pp poster gave you, add another 1 or 2 water changes a week. The additional ones don't have to be 100%, they can be about 50%, just siphon or scoop out the water you want to change, suck out the yucky stuff at the bottom with a turkey baster and add in temperature matched, conditioned water.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #6 
bcollins

Thank you for the advice, I just purchased a heater today and he seems to be just as active (if not more) than before. Hopefully his fins will begin to heal soon, I will change the water more regularly!
Old 06-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #7 
jona31

so glad to hear he's doing better BYE