Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #1 
SeaKnight

Mollies

Does anyone know what the average size clutch is for a Molly??? I have a Momma giving birth as we "speak" ( I have heard anything from 1-20) and am not sure of how many she has delivered (I woke up to 3-4 in the tank and now am seeing approx 7-8..) She is in with another female (Quarantine/Nursery Tank) and they are use to living with guppies so don't think they would be interested in eating the fry (plus Momma seems to chase Pepper away whenever she gets too close to the nest), but ya never know??? Any advice is appreciated... I was hoping my husband would be home when this happened, but alas, he is at work...sigh...............
SeaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #2 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKnight View Post
Does anyone know what the average size clutch is for a Molly??? I have a Momma giving birth as we "speak" ( I have heard anything from 1-20) and am not sure of how many she has delivered (I woke up to 3-4 in the tank and now am seeing approx 7-8..) She is in with another female (Quarantine/Nursery Tank) and they are use to living with guppies so don't think they would be interested in eating the fry (plus Momma seems to chase Pepper away whenever she gets too close to the nest), but ya never know??? Any advice is appreciated... I was hoping my husband would be home when this happened, but alas, he is at work...sigh...............
Much depend's on the size of the female, and genetics.
Often times a female that has been allowed to breed with sibling's over, and over,,will produce fewer fry as gene's are weakened by inbreeding.
I usually select the best looking females from a brood and then isolate them while searching for good looking males from different source.
In this way,,new gene's are introduced and number's of fry are more numerous and less chance of deformed fishes.
Just my expieriences.
Livebearer's drop fry all over, as opposed to a nest, and adult fish will often eat the fry for they have no maternal instinct's.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #3 
SeaKnight

The Male and female were acquired from different places, as far as I know (They are my DH's fish), and what I meant by nest is there is an area of the tank were the fry have congregated and it appeared as though she (Momma) was chasing the other female (Pepper) away whenever she approached that area... Thanks for the info......
Old 06-20-2013, 01:21 AM   #4 
Tabby216

Congrats! I have two female mollies that each gave birth and I can't count how many there are but maybe around 20 so I am guessing 10 by each mom. They are so fun to look at I notice they also are pairing in groups and they all swim freely with the 4 adults in there its so odd they don't get chased or eaten I think because i feed them enough not to want to eat the fry
Tabby216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:16 AM   #5 
SeaKnight

IDK what the reasons are, I'm just glad that they all seem to be doing well.... Never had a successful spawn before