Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #1 
fgradowski

Not Sure if Velvet or A. Poisoning?

Not totally sure what is wrong with Vardaman. I am certain it is something in my WELL water. Algernon just died last weekend. I changed him into a tank with tap water, stress coat, and AQ salt.
I am getting testing kit and medications now, but I am not sure what is going on.
He is lethargic, as you can see. He occasionally spazzes out at the top of the tank. His colors are somewhat dull. He was acting a little strange this morning, but when I got home from work at 2 was when I noticed the lethargy and when I changed him into a different tank with water from a tap instead of well.
Once I get my tests run, in about an hour =/ nearest store that sells them, I will post the results here.

Last edited by fgradowski; 06-18-2013 at 05:06 PM.
fgradowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:19 AM   #2 
veggiegirl

To check if it is velvet shine a torch/light on him and look closely for tiny goldy coloured dots like someone has sprinkled powder over him. If he has it treat ASAP with either mardels coppersafe or a product containing a combination of malachite green and formaldehyde. Be sure to check first but if it is velvet it takes them down quickly so the sooner you medicate the better chance of survival.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:26 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

If he had velvet, I would think you would see the gold flakes in the picture if you used a flash.

Quote:
a product containing a combination of malachite green and formaldehyde.
Quick Cure would be the cheapest and easiest to find if you have a walmart nearby.

Are you using conditioner?
I have something odd going on with my tap water. Its actually making people here sick and I am pretty sure its what killed a few of my fish. I ended up buying poland spring water and using 1/2 that and 1/2 tap but since I have 60 gallons of water to deal with, I can't be buying bottled water for all tanks. Maybe try boiling the water and doing the water changes a few hours later - after the water has cooled off a bit?

Last edited by Tikibirds; 06-19-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #4 
fgradowski

I use API water conditioner and stress coat when they are sick. I have now lost both of my fish suddenly in the past week. Algernon showed no signs of disease and Vardaman just showed signs that same day.
I tested my water and the only numbers out of whack were a high pH and alkalinity.
I was changing the water 100% once a week in three gallon, heated tanks. Could it be that I was killing off all the good bacteria this way? (I haven't found a small enough gravel vacuum and not sure how to clean all the poop up off the bottom without one.) Even then, this was extremely fast. I had the fish for about 8 months. Six of which were spent at college with town water. The last two have been at my parent's home with well water.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #5 
fgradowski

Also, the first picture was taken with a flashlight being shined on him.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #6 
4everaspirit

I just want to say that your fish's lethargy looks exactly how mine is acting. I treated her for velvet and things have gotten worse not better. I'm thinking it might be something internal............I feel awful as she's on her last fins.

Best luck to you with the fish. If some sort of velvet treater doesn't work. Try pimafix and melafix.
4everaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #7 
fgradowski

My fish has died. I still want to know what happened because I'd like to know for future fish.
I don't know if my other fish suffered similar symptoms. I spent the night away with my boyfriend and when I came back the next day he was dead.
Both deaths were quick and unexpected.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #8 
4everaspirit

Oh dear. I'm sorry to hear that :(. I can't honestly tell from the pictures as to what is wrong. Like I said. I recommend having some melafix and pimafix on hand if you start noiticing sysmptoms with future fish.

I doubt someone can really tell you with certainty what it is based on the description, but maybe.
4everaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #9 
Tikibirds

*hugs*

The same thing happened to a few of mine recently. 3 up and died for no apparent reason and then 2 were laying on bottom, very rapid gill movement. One of them died and the other one I am treating with quick cure (malachite green and formalin). After about 4 or so days his gill movement is finally slowing down. I think its some kind of parasite - maybe gill flukes??

This is the one that passed away

This is Ferb who is still hanging on. I think he is actually doing better and still eating which is a good sign.

Quote:
I recommend having some melafix and pimafix on hand if you start noiticing sysmptoms with future fish.
I wouldnt recommend them OR bettafix for bettas. Many people have claimed that the main ingredient - a tea tree oil - actually destroys their labyrenth organ which the betta uses to breathe air from the surface. If you do use it, I would use with care and do not overdose at least not for bettas. I would think its OK to use with fish that breathe oxyen via the water. I have used it with no ill effects but I also underdosed just in case. A better medication to have for bacterial infections would be either API Furan 2 OR Kannaplex. Furan 2 is easier to find but Kannaplex is a bit stronger and can usually only be found online via ebay or amazon.com

for parasite infections - there are a few out there. Jungle's Parasite clear may be the easiest to find as walmart carries it. There is also General Cure by API. For internal parasite infections - I make my own medicated fish food as I have been told the best way to treat it is by the fish consuming the medication via food. I just use a fizz tab and add in something like wardly pellets. Supposedly the better quality pellets wont soak up the medication as well..or so I have been told.

Quick Cure works well for ick, velvet, fungus and supposedly gill flukes.

If you look through the different medications sold on this site, they give a good description of each medicine they sell. Its organized via brand like Krodon, Api, Mardel, ect
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Quickcure.html

Last edited by Tikibirds; 06-19-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #10 
fgradowski

That would make sense...I'm glad you are able to get your guy better! I have another fish now. I cleaned the tank with hot water and all the decorations with hot water also. Would that be enough to kill any lingering parasites? Because that sure sounds like what happened to Vardaman, but it took him down quickly! Should I add some medication just to be safe?
Also, I knew that bettafix and melafix can harm them over time. I made sure to avoid those treatments.