Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #1 
amzingaly

Exclamation Help!

I brought home a sick fish from petsmart the other day who passed with in a few days. He was twitching uncontrollably for a few hours then died. I decided to not replace him and just stick with my 3 boys. Well today I did a water change and now my most active boy is laying on the bottom and will not eat. I used separate water change supplies from the sick fish so I do not believe he could've caught anything from him. But nothing appears to be physically wrong with him besides that he is laying on the bottom and a little clamped up. I don't think it has anything to do with why he's on the bottom but this past week he's begun fin biting. I don't know whats happening to my fish lately but they seem to be dropping like flies!
amzingaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #2 
countyrd419

Did you check him for ich?
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #3 
amzingaly

Yeah he doesn't have any physical symptoms of anything besides the laying on the bottom and his fins look slightly clamped. He's usually very active so I'm very concerned about him. Tank is a stable 80 degrees. Ammonia , nitrate and nitrite are all 0.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #4 
sainthogan

Did you remember to use conditioner or decholinater? I would do another water change right way even if you did remember to use it.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:10 AM   #5 
amzingaly

the water change helped a little. He still isn't fully back to himself but i guess ill just have to keep a close eye on him.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #6 
amzingaly

woke up today and he's only using one pec to swim. He's swimming like he's as stiff as a board. I don't know what to do for him besides make him comfortable.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #7 
TurtleBarb

Have you compared the water chemistry of your tank to the water you use for water changes lately? If there's too much of a difference between them, it can shock the fish and wear down their immune system.
TurtleBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #8 
amzingaly

by water chemistry you mean pH, ammonia, nitrates and nitrites? Yes I've checked that and they are the same. I don't have a test for hardness.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #9 
TurtleBarb

Yes, that's what I meant. Just checking. :) Sometimes municipal water quality changes, so it seemed worth it to ask.
TurtleBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #10 
countyrd419

Good afternoon, amzingly. Hope your fellow is feeling better. I was just wondering if your water company has recently added fluoride to the water supply while it is good for us. It is not for betta fishes and of course those people who are on kidney dialysis. Call them up and see what they say.

I know here in Central Florida, they usually notify us that a fluoride flush will take place at a certain time.

Take care. Let us know how he is doing.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote