Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #1 
bettaboytroy

What are these things?

I've seen them before but today when I was doing a water change I saw several. They are about 1/8 inch long and just crawl on the glass. The last fish I had in this tank were guppies, kuli loach, ghost shrimp and a couple cories.

What are they?
What do they feed on?
Are they dangerous to me or my fish?
Do I need to tear the tank down?
Attached Images

bettaboytroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #2 
TakingthePlunge

Planarians. Not really a huge problem, as alot of people end up with them. They often feed on dead plant matter, left-over fish food, or fish waste. Some Fish will eat them, but I've never known it to be harmful.

Vac the tank, at least, to get rid of a lot of the critters and their food, and 50% water change tends to help. If you want them gone RIGHT NOW then yes, tear down the tank. If you're okay with them getting naturally cycled out, just keep feedings to minimum and Vac the tank, and change water 50% every day.
TakingthePlunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #3 
TakingthePlunge

Here's a link to a more magnified picture of planarians. http://schneider24.files.wordpress.c...planarian2.jpg

One of the most interesting things about them is if you cut them into ten pieces, each piece will regenerate into a new worm. But them in a blender and you get the same thing. They CAN be hard to get rid of, but they are literally everywhere, so people generally only worry about them when they get overwhelming or noticeable in the tanks.
TakingthePlunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #4 
bettaboytroy

Thanks, sounds like I can live with them then. Was worried they fed on living tissue. The most I ever saw was around 7 today but I really stirred up the substrate. Also wanted to make sure it was ok to put my hands in the water. Thanks for the info!
Old 07-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #5 
bettaboytroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakingthePlunge View Post
Here's a link to a more magnified picture of planarians. http://schneider24.files.wordpress.c...planarian2.jpg

One of the most interesting things about them is if you cut them into ten pieces, each piece will regenerate into a new worm. But them in a blender and you get the same thing. They CAN be hard to get rid of, but they are literally everywhere, so people generally only worry about them when they get overwhelming or noticeable in the tanks.
Glad I didn't go with my first thought and just squash them against the glass.