Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #1 
carlos puron

8 days of treatment and fin rot still getting bad

Hay y'all I've benn struggling with this fin rot problem it's been sevendays of aquarium salt treatment I've been doing daily water changes he still eating and swimming around but fins still getting bad I just added stress coat to the treatment a couple of days ago what should I do ?

Ill ad some pictures when I get home I know it's not fin nipping cause I see black spots at the edges of the fins
carlos puron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #2 
ANHEL123

How much aqauarium salt you been putting in the tank?
And do you do daily water changes? How much water do you change?
Do you acclimate him to the new water every time you change him?
How long he is sick?
I think picture can help.
Some times if after full 10-14 days salt treatment if you think he still has fin rot i would treat him with medications.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #3 
carlos puron

qA teaspoon for the 5 gallon tank daily wather changes 2 gallons and I get the water to the tank temperature he's been sick for about 10 days that's when I noticed that I don't know if he has been like that before I noticed

can see some white edges at the end of part of the fins but not on all the fins I see black spots where the fin has been rooted here are the pics how he was how is he right now
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #4 
carlos puron

If I have to proceed with medications what could be a good option and how to apply it thanks for the help
Old 06-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #5 
sainthogan

fin nipping can turn into fin rot, so it's possible he was (or is still) biting and some of it is beginning to rot.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #6 
ANHEL123

OK qA teaspoon for 5 gall ,which is 1 tsp/gall? Am i right? it's not a therapeutic dose at all. I think you follow the box instructions? The box instructions just for preventative care. May be that why it not helping at all.
I know that you treating him for about 7 days but How long you have him?
Is your tank filtered?
How much and how often you usually change his 5 gall tank water?
Is he still acting healthy(eating and active) which you wrote yesterday that he is. How he is acting today? Is he acting the same or worse?
The right dosage for the aquarium salt is 1tsp/gall up to 3 tsp/gall with daily water changes.
If your tank is not cycled i would start him on 3tsp/gall of aq salt. You need to do full water changes daily. You can lower the water so it will be easier for you to do water changes. Do not keep him in very warm temperature. 80* is too warm. The warmer is the temp - more chance for the infections. So if you can 76 * is good.
Sress coat is also good for healing so i would continue.

If his behavior changed i would go with API Triple sulfa .

Do you know how to acclimate betta to the new water if you need to do full water change?

If your tank is cycled then it would be a little different. Let me know if your tank is cycled so i can give you instructions.

I also thinking he might bite them too. Of course fins can get infected from biting too. So i am not sure what he has but if he is acting healthy i am really recommending to do full dose of the aq salt treatment. And buy the medications so you have them on hold(API Triple Sulfa).

Some of his fins are healing if it clear, transparent regrowth .

Last edited by ANHEL123; 06-19-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #7 
carlos puron

I used quick start I didn't do the full cycling process i wasn't ready when my friend brought him yes i've been using box instructions today I'll do three teaspoons today my tank has a filter I took the carbon out and it's only using the biofiber he's benn with be for about a month a little bit more he's acting normal

The way I acclimate him is putting the cup where I place him floating on the tank for 10 min I add sone water from the tank and wait another 5 min three times and then I just add the fish not the water
Old 06-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

You acclimating him right way.
Yes make sure you do 3tsp per gall not per tank:) Are you going to do full water changes? If so you can lower the water it will be more convenient for you. But if you will do full water changes you don't need to keep the filter. Less water movement is better.
If you never did full water change for him before, then you need to start day 1 and day 2 of the treatment with 50% water change, and then day 3 you can do full water change. And also don't forget to vacuum the gravel.
If you will keep the filter and if it too difficult for you to do full water changes you can do 50% daily, of course redose the salt each time. I am personally like full water changes.
You can do the salt treatment for 10 days. I would not stop the salt even if you will think his tail is better . Just compete the full 10 days treatment. If you think that he is really getting worse then go to meds.
I also want to give you one link and i want you to check post #22 from LittleBlueFishlets . I am giving it to you because i want you to check a few links that she posted there. But it after you done treating him though. Just good recommendations so i want to make sure you have those links.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=173977&page=3
Old 06-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #9 
carlos puron

Ok so should I start counting the ten days starting today ? And I rater do the 50dayli cause filter and light are tigether so can't have thebligth on and the filter off at the same time but I can turn off light without stoping filter though so ill do 50% daily three spoons per galon hoping he gets better
Old 06-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #10 
carlos puron

Thanks for helping me out and is my idea ok about the 50% daily or best way to go is 100%?