Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #21 
carlos puron

It seems like he likes this spot is the light too strong for him or he just wants to be close to the top to get air? Should I buy him one of those leafs after treatment? So he can still doing it?
Attached Images

carlos puron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #22 
ANHEL123

A lot of people have hammock leaf for betta. So of course if you want you can buy it. Make sure light not too strong though. I don't have any light for my betta , so i am not really experienced with that but make sure it not too strong. Is it stronger then he had before?
Also i forgot betta hammock has metal wire inside. You can use pliers and removed it. The metal will eventually rust in the tank, and the rust can hurt your betta. So if you ever buy it take out the wire.

His behavior didn't change right? Just want to make sure he is not laying on the bottom or hanging in one spot on the top?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #23 
carlos puron

No he stays there and take air but I just got back home and he stills greeting me if I go close to the tank he goes to where I am I used to have some anubias with him and he used to spend time under them so maybe he's looking for a different spot to stay I've never had something close to the surface for him to stay but I remember that my last betta used to sleep at a anubia's leaf that was close to the surface so maybe is a long way to the top and they prefer to be closer when they go to sleep behavior still being the same though
Old 06-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #24 
carlos puron

It looks like he's doing ok I think the rot has stopped I don't see black spots at yhe end of the fins just on some parts but not all the fins I'll keep the 100 % water changes for ten days and will keep on medication with the stress coat thanks for your help and I'll keep you updated
Old 06-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #25 
ANHEL123

Just keep eye on him. I just think if at any time when betta behavior or eating habits change it always a problem .
Did you decide if you want to cycle his tank or just continue regular water changes?
I think see how he is doing and when you done with salt 10-13 days do about 3 50% water changes (2-50 the same day about 3 hrs a part and another 50% next day)to get rid of the salt and another day do one full water change. Then decide if you want to cycle the tank he is in so you can do fishin cycle.
Please keep us updated
Old 06-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #26 
carlos puron

I dcided to cycle the tank he's in ill do the water changes and start cycling with him in there cause that's his tank any way I'll keep the other one without fish in case that I change the plan what would you recommend using the other other one and clean the one he's in that would mean leaving him in the one with the java moss or do the cycling on the one he's now ?

And thanks for your help it's been very useful
Old 06-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #27 
ANHEL123

It really doesn't matter do either way. Sorry I don't cycle any of my tank so i can't really give good advice on that. But i would suggest to read the links i am going to post for you and see what is better for you. I am going to give you
1) fish in (with fish in)cycle instruction
2) water changes for established tank
3) fishless (without fish) cycle
The link about water changes i really advice to read so you can see how to take care of the established tank. You need to make sure to rinse/swish filter media weekly with every water change. Sometimes filter cartridges can gather a lot of gunk on them and that could cause ammonia problems. Make sure it's tank water or water that has been dechlorinated though. Make sure you do weekly water changes(50%) and you always can do more water changes at any time when you need to.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771(fish in cycle)

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758 (water changes)

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...g.php(fishless)

Also,

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...-guide-111960/

There's some info on fishless cycling in that article as well.
Sorry i hope it helps. If you have more question about cycling here is a lot of people who does it and will give you best advice. I never cycle any of my tanks. I hope the links i gave you will help you:)
Old 06-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #28 
carlos puron

I just got home and found this at the end of my bettas tail i think those are fin nipping because of the u shape on them what do you think if it's that what can I do to stop him
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #29 
ANHEL123

I think those U-shape marks look like a bettas teethmarks, especially if he didn't have them before and just got him now then i think he does bites his tail.
Unfortunately not a whole lot you can do. You can rearrange his dicor, add more hiding places, some people use plastic bottle tops off off soda bottles. Betta might bite bacause he is bored, or because he's threatened by his tail and thinks it's another betta, or his tail is too heavy for him. So you need to keep his water super clean to prevent it from being infected.
I have a lot of stuff in one of the tank that i have my tail biter. I even put stuff outside of his tank. I have some toys outside of the tank , i thought to destruct him. But my betta don't do it too often . Last time he did it about 6 mo ago.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #30 
carlos puron

Well I'm sure it started as fib rot cause I saw the edges tearing apart about the bites I guess I'll buy him some decorations today I only had natural plants but I had to take them of because of the salt so I see what can I find to put in there hoping that stops him