Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #61 
carlos puron

I just found out that my betta sees his reflection and is always spawning at it could that caused the fin rot? If so what can I do I think it's because of the light that he sees his reflection
carlos puron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #62 
ANHEL123

Yes just like LittleBlueFishlets wrote in that post that you was commenting that it stressing him out and stress affect his immune system. So if you think it the light i would try to turn it off and see if it help. How much of the natural light you have in the room. They in the living room right? So that light coming from the window should be enough. Try to play with light and see if it helps. The reflection is caused by the angle at which the light is hitting the glass. Often turning the tank or moving it to another location might fix the problem.Also , the background color outside the aquarium can enhance or reduce his ability to see his reflection. Darker colors show the reflection more than light colors. Keeping the tank away from walls or neared light colored walls will be better then keeping it against a dark wall(well i think your tanks not against the wall, sorry didn't look at the picture again) Also, attaching a scenic image to the back of the aquarium glass will often camouflage reflections as well. Most fish stores carry aquarium backdrop images you can tape to the outside of the tank. While a solid blue or black backdrop will worsen the reflections, images or aquarium plants or rocks will hide the reflection.
Silk plants is a great way to break up the sight lines between your betta and his reflection. If you buy live plants, please don't forget to quarantine them. Or let me know i will give you link where people instruct you how to disinfect the plants. Opss sorry i think you already bought plants? Sorry i read so many thread i forget.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #63 
carlos puron

Well I have a gray background on his tank is not dark gray and I've seen him flaring at that part of the tank the original light is on the filter and it sits in the middle of the tank so I placed it back and removed the background would a withe background help ? Cause the back of the paper is withe so maybe I can just flip it I just saw that indian Almond leaves can help for the fin biting is that true? I was thinking to put some kind if plants at the back like jungle vailor something to cover the back si he won't see his reflection
Old 07-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #64 
ANHEL123

If he flaring at that part of the tank , i would try that white background see if it will helps.
Indian Almond leaves i never used them but that what people saying:
'' Indian Almond Leaves or naturally dried oak leaves are source of tannins . Tannins have antibacterial properties and also helps to acidify the water and turn it dark colored. This simulates a betta's natural habitat . But if you going to buy it, i would make a new thread and find out what is the best person you can buy it from. I read one time someone had bad experience with the place he bought them from. If you buy them make sure you rince the leaves and crumble into the water to make it dark brown. You can also just place the leaf in the water but it takes a little linger for the tannins to seep out.
As for the plants adding live or silk plants is a good way to break up the sightlines between your betta and his reflection. You can find tall silk plants that can cover the background . Sorry i don't have a lot of experience with live plants , i don;t buy them. I know adding Java Fern are good. They also inexpensive, require little care and are found at most local fish stores.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:16 AM   #65 
HeadlessLegoMom

I was having the same problem with my fish flaring hardcore at his reflection in one part of the tank. No matter how little light there was, he was freaking out and overstimulated wanting to kill his reflection. Someone suggested placing a matte (not shiny) piece of white paper there and it has worked WONDERS! Hopefully now my fish will stop blowing out his tail into a tattered mess.
HeadlessLegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #66 
carlos puron

Sorry I haven't updated on a while well just found out a few days ago that hi may be biting himself because the fins could make it a little harder for him to swim he's been active eating he stills getting crazy at the front of the tank whenever I get home I opened a threat asking about the leaves they recommended someone at ebay I will order some on the next paycheck I will try the white background I removed the grey one so for the moment i've been doing water changes twice a week to keep water as clean as I can he stills biting but I see regrowth on all his tail fin so I guess he's doing ok thanks for all your help and I'll let you know when I get the leafs
Old 07-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #67 
Namialus

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos puron View Post
Sorry I haven't updated on a while well just found out a few days ago that hi may be biting himself because the fins could make it a little harder for him to swim he's been active eating he stills getting crazy at the front of the tank whenever I get home I opened a threat asking about the leaves they recommended someone at ebay I will order some on the next paycheck I will try the white background I removed the grey one so for the moment i've been doing water changes twice a week to keep water as clean as I can he stills biting but I see regrowth on all his tail fin so I guess he's doing ok thanks for all your help and I'll let you know when I get the leafs
They're called Indian Almond Leaves. BettaSpa and there's this one by Tetra would do the same thing as well. ;)

Also: VitaChem helps regrow fins.
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #68 
ANHEL123

Can you give the link where you bought VitaChem from. I heard people mentioned about it but i never had it for my bettas. So it also has Aloe Vera in it?
Old 07-17-2013, 12:48 AM   #69 
LittleBlueFishlets

VitaChem is a vitamin/amino acid supplement. Here's a link for more info: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=4998

(I don't believe there's aloe in it. Just vitamins and aminos.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #70 
ANHEL123

LittleBlueFishlets thaink you, would you recommend to use VitaChem?
carlos i just though i think you already using stress coat, am i right ? I am not sure if oyu need something else in addition to this . I am not sure. If you see signs of the regrowth then clean water and stress coat probably enough.