Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #1 
Psylk87

Unhappy Sick Betta?

MY betta isn't eating and has been acting strange. He is two years old (that I have had him). He has always been an eager eater but hasn't eaten for the past 2 days. He is also favoring one corner of the tank which isn't normal for him. He has never been sick in the past. Water levels are all normal and good (did an API test and everything is within the right levels). All other fish in the tank seem fine (Neon Tetras, Snails, and shrimp). He is the only acting different. He looks normal to me but maybe I am missing something so I am adding pics. The only recent change to his tank has been a female RCS eggs hatching and a new filter (seeded with old filters media). Could it maybe just be bloat from eating too many babies? Or maybe the flow on the new filter is too much and I should try baffling it? Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Please ignore the diatoms on the glass. The snails love that leaf so I never wipe it off.
Psylk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #2 
darkangel

He looks a little skinny to me but might be the photo. Has he had any stringy poop?

He also might just be kind of old.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #3 
Psylk87

I haven't noticed any stringy poop no.

He may be skinny I don't know. He is the only betta I have ever had so nothing to compare him to. He has always seemed healthy to me. He gets fed twice a day normally and has always been a good eater. About 4-5 pellets each time (something I saw recommended here).
Old 06-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #4 
Psylk87

Looking at him in person his tummy area seems a little bloated could he just be constipated?

Also thank you all in advance for help and opinions. I am really qorried about the little guy.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #5 
Frodo Bagfins

My fish isnt eating either--

I hope Stromaggedon Dark Lord of All starts eating again. My Indigo stopped eating except for one pellet a day a week ago. And he absolutely loved freeze dried blood worms and now won't touch them. I don't know what's wrong. Poor little guys!
Frodo Bagfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #6 
Psylk87

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #7 
4everaspirit

My betta started acting like this. At first I thought she was just bored. After four monts I realized it turned into something worse. Velvet was the closest match I could find, but I treated her for velvet and she seems to have only gotten worse. So now, I'm thinking it might be internal like a bacteria or something.

If you don't think it's velvet, you don't notice any gold flecks or discoloration yet, and you don't think it's fungus, you can try using some pimafix and melafix. It's safe to use when you are unsure of the problem. It isn't an antibiotic but they are natural products that fight any internal or external bacterial problems. I ordered some for my fish, but I don't think they will make it in time. =/ Treat it early while you can.
4everaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #8 
Psylk87

I thought Melafix wasn't recommended for Bettas? I thought it could damage their breathing organ? Has that changed? I can have some here by tomorrow if it has.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #9 
4everaspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psylk87 View Post
I thought Melafix wasn't recommended for Bettas? I thought it could damage their breathing organ? Has that changed? I can have some here by tomorrow if it has.

I have heard mixed things about it based on reviews. I really don't know what to believe anymore ;/ I would take a look at some of the reviews on the product and see what you think. That is my recommendation.

If you think he is bloated I hear from others that an Epsom salt bath helps.

Last edited by 4everaspirit; 06-19-2013 at 02:56 PM.
4everaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote