Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #1 
Wynn

Fin rot/ and or Bitting?

I don't have a pic I don't I could get a good one anyhow.
He is chasing his tail and the chunks missing are happening pretty fast. Though this morning he was fine, it seemed to accure after like 8 hours.
I figure that is fin bitting but the thing is the part of his tail he is bitting off turned grey. Is that part of bitting or a reason why he is bitting? This morning I did a 100% water change and moved him to his 1 gallon bowl(Still new at that and sort of pinched him with the net :'()
Is it likely that if I pinched him it might have hurt him and now he is picking at it?
I am going to treat the water with aquriam salt and stress coat. Anything else you think I can do for the guy?

Water level of 10 gallon tank before the change was about
PH 8.0
Ammonia 0.5 or less near there
Nitrite 0.25 or less
Nitrate 10

I didn't check his new water yet but since I did a 100% change figured it had to be alright but I plan to check it too.
Wynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:52 AM   #2 
Wynn

Oh yeah, he is a HalfMoon, but he is looking like a CrownTail :'(
I thought he was only biting his back tail but he I think he is biting his top tail too(Not sure they names)
Not sure they under body fin is being bitin yet.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:34 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

Does the grey looK like the fish in this thread?
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086

Is the grey rapidly advancing towards his body?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:35 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

also the ammonia is a bit high. It should be at 0 or as close as possible. I have ammonia in my tap and it is always at .25
Old 06-19-2013, 01:57 AM   #5 
Wynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post

also the ammonia is a bit high. It should be at 0 or as close as possible. I have ammonia in my tap and it is always at .25
I hope it isn't that .
I just did a check his nitrate and amonia are at 0 :D first time I have seen his ammonia at 0. I got .25 in my tap too lol.
It doesn't look like that it is very light in color.
I tried taking pictures of him.
The first one is his tail currently(the thing on his body was a hair on my phone) and the second was his tail 2 days ago. I watch him carefully this happened this evening, like 6-8 hours after I did a 100% water change, though I did pinch him a bit when I did, I thought maybe he got scratched and was picking at it. The grey is very hard to see, I think I can only see I look at him very closly ;). I mean I can see it in the pic. It is more white then black I think his normal color they being a light blue.
He is also swimming a bit strange, it doesn't look like he can't swim normal his fins like moving oppisote direction for a moment or his trying to lay on the bottom. I think he is trying to scratch, he is also chasing his tail a bit :'(
Attached Images

Last edited by Wynn; 06-19-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:05 AM   #6 
darkangel

If he is all scratching, you might want to flash a light on him regularly to make sure he doesnt have ich or velvet.

his tail looks like biting, I think 1/2 tsp per gallon of aq. salt should be enough?
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:11 AM   #7 
Wynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangel View Post
If he is all scratching, you might want to flash a light on him regularly to make sure he doesnt have ich or velvet.

his tail looks like biting, I think 1/2 tsp per gallon of aq. salt should be enough?
I added 2 table spoons the box of aquriam salt I got said 1 table spoon per 5 gallons and he has a 10 gallon. Is that correct? I also added stress coat to his water.

Would the light of his aquriam be enough or would I need a flashlight?(I look very close at him ;) darn near touch the glass with my face) I did see 1 white dot on his body, I figured ich would be more then 1 dot, right?

Is it wierd for him to starting bitting his tail suddenly?
I just relooked at the systems of ich, velvet, he doesn't have a loss of apitite, he ate really fast tonight(Had new food for him :D) He also doesn't seem to be tired, he seems more active then yesterday though he seems to be hurting himself :(
Is tail biting a cause for concern?

Last edited by Wynn; 06-19-2013 at 02:16 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #8 
Wynn

Update/Bump
Over the night he didn't seem to chew his tail much more, the grey that developed(only on the tip of his back tail) hasn't spread and he bit a decent chunk of the grey part of before I went to bed last night.
Do you think the stress coat/salt helped him? If so do you think he was aggro if I pinched him doing a water change, or picking at it?
He is swimming a bit different still, he usually stays next to his heater and swims occasional unless someone comes at looks at him but currently he can't much sit still and is staying closer to the bottom. It doesn't appear that he is having trouble swiming thogh just staying down there. (I did finally get him a hide a hole though it is more of a bridge, he tried to bite it a few times and has went under it a few times)

So with salt/stress coat, I don't add unless I do a water change right? Do I add an equal ammount of salt to what I take out? Or different since it blends? And should I add it to the gallon of water before I add it to the tank or after?(Last night since I already did a water change I just added to his tank directly)

Oh yeah on his top fin I see black dots, I am not sure if they are part of his natural color since he doesn't raise that fin unless flaring usually. I think he has chewed his top fin the most too. Is that cause for concern?

Thanks for the advice
Old 06-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #9 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Is it wierd for him to starting bitting his tail suddenly?
It's not uncommon. They can bite for many reasons - stress, boredom, just because they can or in the case of HM's and longer fined VT;s because their fins are just too heavy/annoying. AQ salt wont stop the bitting but it may help fight off fin rot. However its supposedly not good for long term use - over 2 or so weeks because it is hard on their kidneys.

I had one guy bite of almost all his tail because I put him in a cup to change his water and when I was acclimating him bac into his tan, I fell asleep. I woke up and his fin was half gone.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #10 
Wynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
It's not uncommon. They can bite for many reasons - stress, boredom, just because they can or in the case of HM's and longer fined VT;s because their fins are just too heavy/annoying. AQ salt wont stop the bitting but it may help fight off fin rot. However its supposedly not good for long term use - over 2 or so weeks because it is hard on their kidneys.

I had one guy bite of almost all his tail because I put him in a cup to change his water and when I was acclimating him bac into his tan, I fell asleep. I woke up and his fin was half gone.
I feel soo bad for him :'(
So then if it isn't uncomman then do you think I am prehaps worring too much?
How often should I change his water in this case? (I don't want to stress him further)
The black dots I mentioned on one tail I think are part of his color(Found a older pic) But the slight grey tint to the edge of his back tail?
Sorry if I am being overly worried.

Tags
betta sick finrot bitting