Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2013, 02:21 AM   #1 
Flyby Stardancer

Planning my tank...

So, I'm planning a planted tank. My substrate should be arriving tomorrow, and I already have most of the plants I'll be starting with. It'll be a low-light, low-tech set up. I have a 10 watt 6500k light, for a 5 gallon tank.

Here's a rough sketch of what I'm thinking for a layout. It's totally not to scale, just in case anyone's wondering. :)

The black line on the left is where the filter sits in the rim of the tank.

I still don't know what plants I'll use for the areas labeled 7. I'm trying to go with stuff that's fast-growing, can be anchored into the substrate without rotting out, will do well in my tank, and is easy & cheap to get.

So far anacharis and hygrophila difformis seem to be the easiest ones for me to get, but anacharis looks like it might not like the temps my tank will be at, and the hygrophila wouldn't like how short my tank is. (The tank part itself is only about 10" tall, and that's counting the depth of the substrate.)

I was talking to a friend about the possibility of her sending me some of the plant she's growing that she can't identify, but then something happened tonight that looks like it'll be pushing back those talks for a while.

So, thoughts? Suggestions?
Flyby Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:22 AM   #2 
VJM

Keep in mind that anything under filter will be shaded, and that lights on bowfronts commonly don't give the "bow" enough light. Crypts should do ok there, but check your specific species needs to be sure. You could use a canister filter and eliminate the shaded area.

I have had anacharis melt, but this last batch from William Tricker is really hardy. Even in Betta temperatures. Good luck! It looks like a good plan.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #3 
bethyMT

Rotala may work as a fast growing stem plant. That stuff doesn't seem to care where you put it, it grows and grows, and it tolerates the higher temps a betta tank has. If you want, I can send you some...I have lots of stems that are due for a trim.

I have had lots of cabomba, anacharis, and elodea melt on me. It's messy as it acclimates to the warm water, so you 'll have to decide if it is worth it to you. You also may have better luck than I did.
bethyMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #4 
Flyby Stardancer

Thanks VJM! And yeah, those points are going to be more shaded. I have C. wendtii for my Crypts.

The way the tank rim + lid are shaped, you can't attach a different filter to the tank.

I'm mostly stuck with plants from the Pet* stores, other than the plants from the one friend. I really don't like going to the one LFS I can get to easily. Their betta section is worse than the betta sections at the Pet* stores! That just puts me off the whole store.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #5 
Flyby Stardancer

Bethy, I thought Rotala was a medium-light plant? Would it still work with a lower light level?

And yeah. I'd look at the bundles of Anacharis at the store and think, "That's more than I need, and there's no guarantee that it will do well in my tank... I need to think more."
Old 06-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #6 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethyMT View Post
Rotala may work as a fast growing stem plant. That stuff doesn't seem to care where you put it, it grows and grows, and it tolerates the higher temps a betta tank has. If you want, I can send you some...I have lots of stems that are due for a trim.

I have had lots of cabomba, anacharis, and elodea melt on me. It's messy as it acclimates to the warm water, so you 'll have to decide if it is worth it to you. You also may have better luck than I did.
I'm actually in need of more Rotala (I can never get enough of the stuff! I love it!) ...if you have some extra after giving Flyby some. Are you in the states?
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #7 
Flyby Stardancer

Okay, I have my tank partially planted. So far I have in Anubias afzelli, Anubias barterii var. nana, Cryptocoryne wendtii, Narrow Leaf Java Fern, and Windelov Java Fern. There's also a little baby Windelov in a pot, for which this tank is just a temporary home.