Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #1 
a123andpoof

New baby betta (guesses on gender?)

So this is my newest baby. When I saw him/her at petco he/she was very pale. 5 minutes in the tank and he looked like this. Now I am pretty sure It's a male. Not positive but I do not see any egg spot. Any guesses on gender? For a while I thought female based on colors, but lack of egg spot and I feel like his fins look more male make me think male. To young to tell tail type as well? I am guessing VT but again am unsure lol

a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #2 
Mar

Adorable! Start a baby betta journal wooo!

She looks a lot like my Venus. ;o

As for the gender, everyone here knows I'm no expert , but I think she's female?

Looks like an egg spot right there? Circled it lol.

Or maybe that's just her pectorals? Idddk, try putting her in a cup, and looking under her for an egg spot.

Did she look like this when you first got her?

Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Looks like a young girl to me, although hard to tell, the longer ventral fins are throwing me off but the anal fin is very rounded at the back giving me the impression of a girl. Also the curvyness to the body suggests female. If you take a flashlight or anything and put it behind the tank and look through her, you should see triangular ovaries behind the stomach. if you only see the circular stomach, then is a boy.

Also I want to point out that young males right up to maturity also have an imitator ovipositer so it's nearly impossible to rely on that unless well passed maturity. And I actually see her's/his ovipositer (egg spot) right behind the ventral fin

Also looks like a VT but if those ray's keep growing out like they look like they might do, she might be a CT
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #4 
Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Looks like a young girl to me, although hard to tell, the longer ventral fins are throwing me off but the anal fin is very rounded at the back giving me the impression of a girl. Also the curvyness to the body suggests female. If you take a flashlight or anything and put it behind the tank and look through her, you should see triangular ovaries behind the stomach. if you only see the circular stomach, then is a boy.

Also I want to point out that young males right up to maturity also have an imitator ovipositer so it's nearly impossible to rely on that unless well passed maturity. And I actually see her's/his ovipositer (egg spot) right behind the ventral fin

Also looks like a VT but if those ray's keep growing out like they look like they might do, she might be a CT
Lol you should open up a thread, helping people ID their bettas
Old 06-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
Lol you should open up a thread, helping people ID their bettas
There is one actually, well it's the Betta Colors & Tail Types, obviously not babies but...yeah.

Actually I'm in the process of writing up a care thread for baby betta's from Petco or other sources
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #6 
a123andpoof

Ah upon close inspection I do see a very tiny egg spot lol I would rather it be female since she is in the female tank. Though I would eventually love a male baby since my last baby was also female.

No she did have some color to her, and was a bit lighter. Shes also fairly big. Almost the size of my other females. Much older baby.

I'm happy with whatever gender lol but should be fun to find out for sure. I do agree her tails looking a bit like a CT or at the very least a combtail.

I have another baby who I am hoping for male but not sure lol still super tiny and not even trying to guess gender yet.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #7 
Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
There is one actually, well it's the Betta Colors & Tail Types, obviously not babies but...yeah.

Actually I'm in the process of writing up a care thread for baby betta's from Petco or other sources
YAY care thread!

And the Betta Colors & Tail Types is locked, so people can't post pics and ask about them :( Otherwise I would have lol :p
Old 06-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #8 
Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by a123andpoof View Post
Ah upon close inspection I do see a very tiny egg spot lol I would rather it be female since she is in the female tank. Though I would eventually love a male baby since my last baby was also female.

No she did have some color to her, and was a bit lighter. Shes also fairly big. Almost the size of my other females. Much older baby.

I'm happy with whatever gender lol but should be fun to find out for sure. I do agree her tails looking a bit like a CT or at the very least a combtail.

I have another baby who I am hoping for male but not sure lol still super tiny and not even trying to guess gender yet.
Ooh, post a pic up of the other baby? I love drooling over their cuteness :)
Old 06-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #9 
a123andpoof

lol okay so quick question since everyone seems to assume female would it be safe to attempt a sorority with her? I have 3 other females in the tank with her. The tank is divided but they are used to seeing each other. And I have always wanted to do a sorority. So think it would hurt to try? I don't think she would be the smallest, as Yuki is pretty small as well. Hope and Star are the biggest with Hope being by far the largest. All are pretty mellow though. And obviously I will keep a close eye on everything. But would love to give it a shot. If it doesnt work I can always put the dividers back in.

Here is Star. When I realized how much her and the baby looked alike I realized the baby could be female lol

And the other baby who is just so stinkin cute!!! love him/her to pieces. She gets to live closest to my bed :p
Old 06-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #10 
Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by a123andpoof View Post
lol okay so quick question since everyone seems to assume female would it be safe to attempt a sorority with her? I have 3 other females in the tank with her. The tank is divided but they are used to seeing each other. And I have always wanted to do a sorority. So think it would hurt to try? I don't think she would be the smallest, as Yuki is pretty small as well. Hope and Star are the biggest with Hope being by far the largest. All are pretty mellow though. And obviously I will keep a close eye on everything. But would love to give it a shot. If it doesnt work I can always put the dividers back in.

Here is Star. When I realized how much her and the baby looked alike I realized the baby could be female lol

And the other baby who is just so stinkin cute!!! love him/her to pieces. She gets to live closest to my bed :p
Ahhh omg, the last one is so adorable

As for the sorority, Lilnaugrim is probably the best to answer that lol xD

But I'd think not, because she is still a baby and still small. Perhaps wait a little while? IT's good that they're in a divided tank, they can get used to each other's presence.