Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #1 
mentallybetta

first time breeder fry question

I have successfully got my bettas to breed for the first time and now I have recently hatched fry. They hatched some time yesterday.

When I look into the cup I see the fry on the side of the styrofoam cup (the part that hangs in the water) but not hanging with their tails down fro the bubble nest like I think I expected to see... is this normal?
mentallybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #2 
Myates

Are they horizontal? They don't stay vertical for a long time.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #3 
mentallybetta

Yes, they are - I noticed they are starting to move around a bit more.

Call me paranoid I guess - they were seemingly just motionless on the side of the cup and the daddy was just off wandering the tank like there was no more need to pay attention to them. They aren't swimming much... just kinda stuck there motionless but a few of their siblings are floating at the top and they all occasionally twitch.

The dad occasionally makes his way back to the nest, tends to a few things then goes back to wandering around the 10 gallon tank. I think if I breed in a 10 gallon again in the future I'll put a divider in it to limit his ability to "roam"
Old 07-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #4 
mentallybetta

Thanks, Myates - it seems like every time I have a question you are one of the first to be quick to respond.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #5 
Ilikebutterflies

Don't worry about the dad. He will come back and check on them often. He making sure nobody is in his territory. He'll get pissed quick if you stick your finger in and wiggle it near the nest. The fry won't move much at all until about 2-3 days after they become free swimming. You will find yourself tapping the glass a lot to make sure they are actually alive, lol.

That's one reason I go heavy on the infusoria for the first 3 days after free swimming. I want to make sure they have food floating by all the time without them having to look around for it. You can look in my tanks and the water looks alive! Little specs and worms swimming everywhere.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

Fry are pretty uncoordinated until they are properly free-swimming. I have had fry end up in some weird positions because their father has moved them, or they have gotten knocked/fallen out of the nest and ended up apart from the others.

Sounds like they are just starting to get everything down pat, and soon they should be darting around everywhere and you will wish they would go back to staying still so you can count them all.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #7 
mentallybetta

Thanks, Ilikebutterflies.

What do you do to culture infusoria? Do you just rely on live plants?

I figured to use vinegar eels as a first food - I also have the MW/WW/BW prepared also.

I'm going to experiment with some frozen BBS because I don't have a hatchery set up for BBS.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #8 
Ilikebutterflies

I have green water outside. I dip out of that. I also get my mosquito larvae out of that bucket. Green water is really only useful for the first 3-4 days after free swimming. Some people say less but my green water has all kinds of critters in it and I can see the fry actively eating them for several days. VE is a great first food. Frozen is a little hit and miss. I drop 1/2 a block of frozen BBS in the middle of the tank and suck it out after 2 hours. The fry usually come and investigate and a few try it out but I don't see enough feeding on it to use it as my only source of food. Non live food is also very messy in a fry tank.

Something I started just today is instead of siphoning the bottom of the tank I use a cut piece of filter sponge and wipe the bottom of the tank. I rarely put my hands in a fry tank. I use a tool to push it around. SOOOOO much faster and easier!! It leaves just a little bit of gunk that I can get with a turkey baster.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #9 
mentallybetta

Great idea about the cut filter sponge!

Thanks for sharing. You just introduced me to my new favorite cleaning method. I've been brainstorming for the last 2 days for a more effective way to clean the bottom of the tank other than a turkey baster