Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #1 
Fenghuang

A Critique for a Female Betta

Hi guys,

We have a "fancy dragon" female coming from Thailand soon. She is a HMPK from Majcha Farm. I would like to hear some constructive criticism on her and suggestions for what type of males to breed her to, if anyone is willing. I do see some faults myself, but it would be nice to hear some other opinions. Thank you very much. :)

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hey Feng

Okay, looks like her anal fin is slanted and her dorsal doesn't meet the caudal. Ventral fins looks fine other than they are split at the ends, I'm not sure how much of an easy fix that is, like I know getting the slant out of an anal fin is pretty hard. I'm going on what other's have said though.

Looks like she's 8 ray's? Hard to tell but looks like she's very close to becoming a rosetail which isn't good either. Her color looks nice though, no particular pattern but nice overall ^_^ And hard to tell from this photo but looks like her topline isn't too bad!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Overall , she is really nice with only a couple minor faults. With the right male she would be good candidate for breeding.

Her fins are fairly nice, and, as she is a hmpk, the slanted anal is acceptable. It seems to curve a little bit though. She has a short first ray on the dorsal. She also may or may not have split ventrals, it's hard to tell. The good news is that all of her faults are minor and can be bred out.

Body shape and topline are good.

Her colour is a jumble of things but it's nice.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #4 
Coppermoon

Nice girl :D

Make sure the male has the correct anal point...some of the PK and HMPK being bred and shown right now don't even have the anal point.
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #5 
Fenghuang

Just as I thought. Thank you, everyone. I'm sorry the picture isn't that great. I forgot to save the other picture from her auction.

What male do you think would suit her, colour-wise? Her pattern is so hard to describe.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #6 
Riverotter

I'd either go with an orange dragon to clear up the blue or just say to heck with it and breed her to a mustard gas type to accentuate it.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #7 
VictorP

As others have said non sharp points and anal fin is not "full". Your result would be best to breed to a solid colour male.
VictorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #8 
trilobite

Looks like she has split ventrals and yeah as others have said, her anal isnt very good, especially the first few rays being too short. Also quite heavy branching

Would be cool to eventually get a dragon body, orange fins and blue/black edging
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #9 
Fenghuang

I tracked down her auction page. Here's other shots of her:

I was not planning to breed her initially, so I did not pay attention all that much to her form (besides, my gf liked her so that was good enough). It is so hard to find a great female.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #10 
Vickytoria3112

All I can say is she's beautiful.

I know nothing about breeding nor what to look for nor do I plan on doing it. The others talking about all this stuff with fins and form. I'm simple, If it looks good to my eye then I like it. With that said, you girlfriend has good taste...lol.
Vickytoria3112 is offline   Reply With Quote