Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #1 
JoyinNC

Exclamation Help! Sick Betta and I don't know how to help her!

My daughter left with me her sweet Louisa last Christmas. She is approximately 4 years old. She has been perfectly happy and healthy until about a week ago. She is not eating and not swimming, resting on a leaf. Sometimes she goes to the bottom to rest and comes up just for air. I don't see anything wrong with her in her appearance. I have her in a gallon bowl but bought a 5 gallon to see if that would help. I set it up and waited 24 hours and moved her into it last night. It was too much for her, I think. It seemed too far for her to go from the bottom to the top to get air. She seemed to be struggling and I guess part of it, too, was the change in her environment. I cleaned her bowl, added aquarium salt and moved her back into it. She seems more comfortable there. She is just resting on her leaf. I've been giving her simply betta for fungus and bacteria for a couple of days.

What size is your tank? one gallon
What temperature is your tank? 75, consistently that temp for months
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta food pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? @3 pellets 3 times per day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? @ weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? all
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: n/a
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:0
pH:8.5
Hardness:0
Alkalinity: 300

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? not that I can tell
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Yes, not swimming and not eating
When did you start noticing the symptoms? @ one week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? salt and Simply Betta
Does your fish have any history of being ill? None
How old is your fish (approximately)? 4 Years old

Last edited by JoyinNC; 06-19-2013 at 10:21 AM.
JoyinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #2 
sainthogan

If she's struggling for air, definitely keep her in the smaller tank. She is quite old, so it could be old age. You can make things more comfortable for her by keeping her in the smaller tank, maybe lowering the water level if she's still struggling to get to the top and maybe raising the temperature to above 76. For a tank that size, you should do at least 2 water changes a week, they don't both have to be 100% though, one could be 50% (if you do it right, you won't even have to take her out). More frequent water changes could greatly reduce the ammonia build up and help her perk up a bit in her old age.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #3 
JoyinNC

Thank you - if I knew for sure it was old age I'd be okay with it but if there's something wrong with her I want to try to help her. I'm going to try to attach a photo.

http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php...ictureid=64674
Old 06-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #4 
sainthogan

Shine a light on her and see if you see any gold (I realize with her coloring that could be difficult) or rust colored "dust" near her gills or anywhere else on her body. The only other thing I can think of other than old age is Velvet - a parasite that lives in the water and attaches itself to the fish. Velvet can get out of control whenever a fish's immune system is compromised. Old age can compromise their immune systems. If it is Velvet, you're going to need medication, warmer water and dark.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #5 
JoyinNC

I don't think it's velvet. I guess I'll just keep her clean and quiet and on her leaf so she's relatively comfortable. I've searched and searched the internet so I guess it's just old age. She's been such a great personality and a sweetie, hate to see her like this.

Thanks for your help.