Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #1 
resa

Exclamation dozens of mosquitoes found in bowl

my neice called me and said there were worms in her tank I went over and founds dozensss of mosquitoes larvae and it appeared they were eating on him. he use to b royal blue he's now gray annd light blue...not eating...ill post pics when I can please tell me how to fix this... he's in a 1 gal bowl I cleaned everything in it with vinegar filled it with water put a drop of prime in it and a drop of tetra aquasafe he's not in bowl yet I'm waiting for replys on what to do
resa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #2 
KohakuRiver

I would be sure to acclimate him carefully, and when you do put him in, make sure none of the contaminated water gets in his tank. I'm not sure about the worms, did mosquito have access to his tank? If this is unlikely, they may be other types or worms or parasites.
KohakuRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

Sorry, that seems extremely odd to have mosquito larvae in his tank. How often is she doing water changes & where does she keep the tank? I don't think mosquito larvae would eat on him, its usually the other way around . . . Bettas LOVE mosquito larvae from what I understand. A 1g tank would need multiple water changes per week. Is his tank heated? Make sure you acclimate him properly, floating his container & adding a tablespoon of tank water every 15 minutes for about an hour. Does he have any open wounds? Pics would definitely be beneficial.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #4 
SaltAndLight

Definitely need a tank with a hood and filter....Poor guy. Throw in some aquarium salt too. That may deter the mosquitoes.
SaltAndLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #5 
resa

Well it's definitely mosquito larvae....we have a very bad problem with them down here in the deep south very bad problem with them.....What does acclimate mean....as far as them loving mosquito larvae is one thing but a whole nother thing when the wild ones carry all the disease they carry....we have had problems here with west Nile virus...
she had a hood, no heater, claims she changed water a week ago, I told her that wasnt enough so I took him back...I gave him to get as a bday gift

What do you mean by floating his bowl and adding s tablespoon of tank water
Old 06-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #6 
resa

also I tested the water he was in and everything was normal except nitrites they were in danger level...but everything else was safe....I called my local aquatic store and they said the larvae nor the adult mosquito would be interested in the fish at all as far as biting him and were no threat...he said its obviously a water problem...bc I.gold him he was losing color and was lethargic
Old 06-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

Acclimating in simple terms is adjusting the fish to new water parameters. For example when you bring home the fish you don't just put him into the tank you have to get him used to the new water which is acclimating him. Floating the container to adjust him to the temp of the tank water, adding a tablespoon of tank water to the container gets him slowly adjusted to the tank water. How high are the nitrites? I would do a 100% water change since its a 1g tank to get the nitrites gone, that could be one reason he's not feeling well, nitrites are bad for fish.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #8 
resa

I already did a 100% change he's in it and his color had almost completely came back
Old 06-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #9 
shellieca
Reference Team

Glad to hear he's looking better.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #10 
resa

pics update....before cleaning tank and after.... you can see the mosquitoes larvae in the pics to
Attached Images