Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #1 
KohakuRiver

Little Kiki may be a marble!

SO... I walk into my room after school yesterday, and say hi to my fish. I look at Kiki, and something is off about her. Then it hits me, her head is blue. It looks like she's grown a mask, though it's a different color than her body... I'm really not sure what to make of it.

Before...

After!

(and no, it's not just a trick of the light.)
KohakuRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

If she were a marble she'd change other colors. Looks like she's has some dragon scaling in her genes but she's not a full dragon scale. As she get's older it will fill in more most likely but I doubt over night. If you can get another picture like the first picture or above then I can help you out more.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #3 
KohakuRiver

Dragonscaling makes sense, she is a pet store betta. I got another picture, basically part of her head turned teal, which is not the color of her body.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #4 
vikingchick12

She looks just like my 2 girls in the first picture! They are both a blue color. However, Sapphire is now more purple color. Then, my other girl is more turquoise and dark blue. They both have the black mask! It's amazing how much it your betta changed though!
vikingchick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #5 
KohakuRiver

Yeah, the black was the one part I didn't expect to change.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

No she's actually not a dragon scale. Dragon scaling is much more prominent than that, that's just her regular iridescence. However Betta's can have different "skin" tones like my girl Mystique who looks like a larger version of your girl has a red head while your's has a black head. It turns more blue when she's stressed out, I see her stress lines which indicates that she lost color that's all. It's a normal thing for them to do and so now you'll easily be able to see when she's stressed.

My girl Mystique normally has the red head but it fades to a dark brown, almost black when she's stressed out so...sorry, your girl isn't that unique lol but she is beautiful still! I'm sure she's just chock full of personality too!!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #7 
Fenghuang

Not a marble. Most bettas have heads different colours than their bodies. That has probably been your girl's colour all along. Female bettas in petstores are often neglected, so they are dull and darker in colouration, and brighten up in clean warm water and proper care.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #8 
KohakuRiver

That would make sense, but I've had her for a while.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

As I mentioned before, when she turns aqua, she's stressed out, I can see the stress lines clearly visible in the second photo and the one you just posted. That's all. So black is her natural head color and blue/aqua is when she's stressed.