Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #1 
Millowsan

Unhappy Please Help me! My betta's right side is swollen!

Hello Everyone,

I've had my betta for almost a year. I keep him in a filtered aquarium tank and feed him hikari betta pellets 3 times a day, usually 5-10 pellets each. He has a heater that keeps the temperature around 85 F.

I went on vacation and kept him in the care of a friend. After I returned, I noticed behavioral changes, he stopped eating, started spending time in the bottom of the tank and didn't swim. I cleaned his water tank and changed his water, which seemed to improve things. He now swims around more.

Two days ago, I noticed he had a bulge on his right side only. I don't know if it's a tumor or because of overfeeding or if its dropsy. I have bought all possible medications and need help diagnosing him. I've included a picture.

I love my betta, and want to do anything I can to save his life! Can someone please tell me what's wrong with him and how to treat him?
Attached Images

Millowsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #2 
jona31

it may be bloat or he might be constipated search up bloat and constipation syndromes in betta fish
jona31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #3 
Millowsan

Thank you so much for responding! I really hope that's the case, I've started following instructions on how to treat for constipation.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #4 
jona31

your welcome
jona31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

No that actually looks like a cyst. Very common and it usually doesn't hurt them so much. You can use a low dosage of Epsom salt to help him get rid of the extra fluid, 1 teaspoon per gallon, mix up the salt in a separate container and add in a dribble every 10 minutes or more until it's all in. Important that you dissolve it first though, as salt dissolves it actually releases heat which can burn your betta but is fine afterwards.

Cysts will come and go but if that sucker pops, it won't be good. So just do the Epsom salt (100% Magnesium Sulfate no additives or scent found at wal-mart/pharmacy store not pet store) and then just do either a full water change if you can or half of it every other day to get rid of anything nasty that he's excreted. So once you take out the water, you also take out salt, so if you take out 2 gallons, you replace 2 teaspoons because you are doing 1 teaspoon per gallon. So if it's say a 5 gallon tank, you use 5 teaspoons. okay?

Do that for about a week to see how he reacts to it.

Also you are over feeding, he doesn't need 3 meals a day. One meal a day will suffice with 6-10 pellets, eating 30 pellets a day is very bad. So cut out on that and if you like, you can give him one Fasting day a week. So one day a week that he doesn't eat so that it keeps his digestive track moving and nothing get stuck in there and makes him constipated or bloated, okay?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #6 
Millowsan

Thank you so much for those instructions!!! I will start using Epsom salts today and do full water changes just like you mentioned. Today is the first day I've started fasting him and I will cut back on his food intake as well.

I really hope it's not something fatal, I can't imagine losing him!
Old 06-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Cysts usually aren't fatal, even if they open up you should then be able to treat with Aquarium salt but for now to reduce the swelling use Epsom. Cysts will come and go so this one may go away or burst and then another can come along, same thing happens in humans although it's much more risky to try to remove it from fish.

It can be fatal but usually they'll be fine, just make him comfortable is all

You can still feed him normally as I did mention so today can be fasting and then just feed him as I suggested tomorrow He'll still need to keep up his strength. Also make sure to take out any uneaten food so it doesn't spoil your water ^_^

So just make sure you dissolve the salt, I use a little cup, measure out the salt and with some tank water in there, stir it around and then you can dribble it into the tank a little at a time. You can do one teaspoon per 15 minutes if you want to measure it that way. And then when you change his water, put the salt in before you put him back (if you're doing 100% change) and then if he's in a cup, float him in his tank and add a Tablespoon of new tank water to his tank every 10 minutes to acclimate him to it

I hope he does well and update or ask questions as needed!
Old 06-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #8 
Millowsan

I I did the water change and added epsom salt instead of aquarium salt. He was acting very aggressive without food, so I just decided to feed him today and fast him tomorrow while I'm out. I'll stick to 100% water changes for the next 7 days.

He's swimming around and seems normal. I will keep you posted about his progress - hopefully his bulge subsides. Thank you so much for your help! I was going crazy these past few days trying to figure out what's wrong with him!
Old 06-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay! Sounds good! I'll keep a lookout for it then ^_^ I hope it does go away at least, it's never fun dealing with cysts and I know first hand unfortunately ><
Old 06-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #10 
Millowsan

Hey lilnaugrim,

I woke up this morning and noticed a few thread like strings attached to four of his lower fins. It's only visible under sunlight. He isn't swimming as much as yesterday. There's nothing on his body or mouth though. Is that cotton wool disease?

Tags
bloat, bulge, sick betta, swollen