Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #21 
Millowsan

Right now I've been using Epsom salt with every water change, so it's been 5 days with Epsom salt. On Friday, should I switch to AQ salt?
Millowsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #22 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh okay! In that case since there has been no changes with the cyst then you can switch to the AQ salt when you want, just make sure he's got a full day rest of just clean water at least so it doesn't stress his kidney's.

If the Epsom seemed like it was helping then feel free to continue it, but since it has neither gone down or gotten bigger, I don't think it's really helping.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #23 
Millowsan

I've replaced his water but I've noticed that his bulge has become slightly bigger or maybe its more noticeable now since he's lost weight. Normally, how long does it take for a cyst to either go away or rupture in a betta?
Old 06-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #24 
Millowsan

Also, papadoupolos has been sleeping all day since last night, he's acting VERY lethargic again!
Old 06-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #25 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'm not entirely sure of the time it takes to actually burst. But it's similar in humans where they can come and go just randomly or they can grow so much that it causes a lot of pain (first hand experience unfortunately) and in which case it should be removed but unfortunately with fish this is extremely hard and most likely an expensive process to go through if you brought him to a fish vet or something.

As I said, the most you can do right now is really just make him comfortable, the Epsom salt will help with that and doing a low regimen of .25-.50 tsp/gal indefinitely. So don't use any of the AQ treatment I had suggested for his fins, just use Stress Coat with the Epsom and that, with the water changes should help his fins.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #26 
Millowsan

Thank you so much! I will do that!! :)
Old 06-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #27 
Millowsan

He seems happier and more active with the low dosage of Epsom salt so I will continue using that. I'm hoping for the best. Thank you for the advice, I really really appreciate it !!
Old 06-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #28 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Great! That's fantastic! I'm really happy to hear that ^_^

So if you can change the water every other day, giving the middle day for him to rest. If you can do 100% that would be good, but 50% will be just as good, whatever he responds to best. If he freaks out at the 100%, then just do a smaller amount. This will keep the water clean and start promoting healthy fin growth with the Stress Coat and will also get rid of any toxins and whatever he excretes either form the cyst or just form his body in general
Old 07-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #29 
Millowsan

I think papadoupolos has become more swollen ;((( Do you think he has dropsy?? I've attached more photos
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #30 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Is it both sides or just one side? Dropsy would have already killed him by this point, his scales would raise and his entire body would bloat up, not just one side and then he'd be quickly gone so no, it's not Dropsy. which is a good thing!

And looking back now, he doesn't look any more swollen from his first pictures. His fins do look better though so that's a good sign But there won't be much else you can do for him except keep up the Epsom and water changes for him to be comfortable unless you can find a Vet who can remove it from him but that's going to be super costly and very risky :-/

Tags
bloat, bulge, sick betta, swollen