Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #71 
Miskris33

I'm going through the same thing with my Carrot :( his lump is huge, it looks near to bursting. Everything I read up until this thread was to use Epsom salts (which it looks ad it i havent used a strong enough dosage) and to just keep the water clean and warm. i was so confused about the bacterial medications, some recommending, some not. and of course couldnt find the in my pet stores. if a medication would work I'd definitely order online. It's so sad my Carrot is still swimming though a good bit less and still eating very very well! It just looks like a cyst about to burst. In going to keep reading, hopefully understand and find a solution or other things to try ;( sorry we're both going through this!

Last edited by Miskris33; 07-18-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Miskris33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #72 
Millowsan

I'm sorry that you're going through this as well. I gave him the antibiotic Maracyn 2 but it did not affect him. I have started him on anti parasite medication and I am waiting to see how he does - I will definitely give updates on his health. He's still eating and he's swimming but he isn't as active as before.

Can you share photos of Carrot?

When I used epsom salt, he would become a lot more active. I think if the parasite medication does not work then I will just use epsom salts, which seem to make him happier.

Everyone on this forum has been really helpful and I don't think papadoupolos would have made it this far without their advice. I'm still hoping for the best.
Millowsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:23 PM   #73 
Millowsan

Hey everyone,

it's been a while since I've posted about papadoupolos. He's on the second week of his antiparasite medication. He still has the lump but he's still eating and swimming.

He always greets me at the tank. His fins have become more ragged and so I'm using API stress coat. Otherwise, he seems happy and healthy.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:09 PM   #74 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hi there Millo! I'm sorry, I meant to check in but forgot over time >.< I'm glad to hear he's still alive and feeling good! Has anything changed about the lump? Gotten bigger/smaller? Changed places or something? I'm glad he seems to be healthy though, that's always good to hear!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #75 
Millowsan

I'll try to take some photos and show you. I really can't say for sure because I think I've just become too used to seeing him like this. Also, I've reduced his tanks water temp. from 85 to 80 F and he's more active in the lower temp.

Can we rule out dropsy at this point? it's been 6 weeks since I first saw the lump
Old 08-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #76 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh yeah, that's totally not dropsy. Dropsy is more in the stomach area, his lump is behind the stomach where I think more of the intestinal area is. So anyway, not Dropsy and I don't know if it would be tumor related but since you called the people there and they believed it was parasitic, I think I'm staying with parasites. However if it's still not working and the ES made him feel better then maybe it is just a tumor. I honestly wouldn't know the difference!
Old 09-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #77 
Millowsan

Hey lilnaugrim, I know I haven't responded in a while it's because I was moving houses. I wanted to update you on papadoupolos. I took him to the pet store because he was more bloated and the fish expert told me that he has dropsy. He said that if I described his behavior over the phone, he would have never guessed papa had dropsy because he was acting normal. But his bulge/bloat shows he has dropsy. He ran a water test and discovered trace amounts of ammonia.

I have old pipes at my new house so I'm using spring water and he said it would be okay to use tap water ---but I don't trust the tap water in the house.

He prescribed neomycin, bettafix, stability and water conditioner (I use prime and API stress coat) with daily 25% water changes for the next 7 days. Also told me to feed him 3 pellets (which have neomycin mixed in them).

His bulge has become more translucent so I know theres a lot of water retention. I'm going to add epsom salt today 1 teaspoon per gallon --hopefully that will relieve his pressure.

Papa has been like this for 4 months but he is getting more bloated now and he might be nearing his end. But I'm still hoping he gets better.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #78 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

If he had Dropsy he should have been dead a long time ago, excuse my forwardness. I do think that it is a tumor now, which either way it's not going to get better unfortunately Tumor's because they bulge, will still cause the scales around to pinecone but the whole fish won't pinecone. If it's Dropsy, you'll see the whole fish pinecone, not just one area of him. So try looking for that to see what happens.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #79 
Millowsan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
If he had Dropsy he should have been dead a long time ago, excuse my forwardness. I do think that it is a tumor now, which either way it's not going to get better unfortunately Tumor's because they bulge, will still cause the scales around to pinecone but the whole fish won't pinecone. If it's Dropsy, you'll see the whole fish pinecone, not just one area of him. So try looking for that to see what happens.

He hasn't pineconed yet. 1-2 scales are raised but not the pineconing I've seen with dropsy (in videos/photos). And he's bloated on one side --which has discoloration i.e. it's more pale than the rest of his body. I think you're right, he's been like this for four months and if it was real dropsy then he would have died by now. Maybe the tumor is putting pressure on his internal organs :(

His water tested for trace amounts of ammonia so I'm trying to keep that to 0.

I'm so sad. He still acts normal, bites my finger, swims around, begs for food. I'm praying for a miracle ;(
Old 09-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #80 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah for sure the tumor is pressing against his organ, most likely his swim bladder and stuff around it.

You can treat him all you want, I wouldn't use any AQ salt of course but you can continue to keep him in Epsom salt to at least reduce any discomfort he might be feeling. But otherwise there won't be much that you can do, but feel free to continue with the neomycin if you desire to. It may help so you never know until you try.

Tags
bloat, bulge, sick betta, swollen