Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2008, 03:56 PM   #1 
Antje

need help diagnosing sick betta girl Dali

Hi,

I wrote about her in another thread ("fin question"). My betta girl Dali is still sick. She swims around normally, is active and eats well, but she doesn't look good.

I treated her with bettafix for 6 days last week. I'm not sure, it helped. The fins seem to be staying like this for about 2-3 weeks now. About 10 days ago I noticed the white cloudy things hanging from her from time to time. It falls off after a while. I saw normal poop in the bowl, not a lot, but some. She seems to cuddle up to her plant sometimes or could that be itching? She seems a little smaller now than our other betta girl and she is not as colorful anymore (which is probably the colder temp. I guess). She was always shimmering blue between her red lines. I went to the "healthy betta" website, but I don't really understand the different descriptions for betta illnesses. A few of them talk about white stuff on the body, but I can't really tell, what the one, that she has, could be. I think, that is a language problem (I'm an ESL). So I hope, someone here can help me figuring it out, so I know, what kind of medication I could try. I would also be happy for medication suggestions (I heard about pimafix and jungle-..., but I don't know, which one to use when.

She is in a 6 liter bowl with a room temp. of about 76/77, no direct sunlight and I do 100% water changes once a week now. I use spring water, conditioned.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Antje
Attached Images

Antje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:07 AM   #2 
Kim

So 6 liters would be... about 1.6 gallons.

First off I would recommend that you get a bigger tank with a heater. Until that time I would do more water changes on the one that you have now. Maybe like 3 per week.

Her fins don't look that bad and I would guess that they will regrow with higher temps and cleaner water alone. As for the white thing, is it poop (or coming off where you normally see poop) or actually on her body? White, stringy poops are a sign of internal parasites in which case you would need to medicate her for that.

Does her body look "dusted" with white or yellow specks? It is hard to see from pictures so I figured I'd ask even though it doesn't look like to me.

As for her fins, should they continue to get worse even with the suggestions above, I have had good luck with Jungle Fungus Clear in treating fin rot so that is what I would recommend.

Keep us posted.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #3 
Antje

Hi Kim,

thank you for your post!

First, I'm happy to hear, that her fins don't look that bad and that I might get it under control.

If I did 2-3 water changes per week how much water would I change each time?
I just did a 100% water change before I read your post and started adding betta fix again. On the bottle it says to add the medicine every day, up to 7 days and then change the water. So, what would be the best way to go then?

For the white thing: I only see it hanging from the little fins on her chest and maybe close to her mouth area, but I don't know, if it just got caught there. Ok, I just found out, that betta's anus is just behind these little front fins, so that would make it very likely to be poop. Oh man.
I actually haven't seen it for a few days on her, just on her favorite plant and I saw normal poop just now, when I cleaned the bowl. Not too much normal poop, but a little.

As for the specks, I don't think, I see anything like that on her.

So, do you think I should I continue with betta fix or do I have to get something else?

By the way, it was really interesting, I mixed bettafix in a cup with some of her new water and then poured it in the middle of the bowl and a bit around. After it was all in she swam to the middle and really "stood" still there for 1-2 sec., then swam away just to get right back to "stand" still there again.

Antje
Old 11-26-2008, 02:27 PM   #4 
Kim

You could try doing all 100% water changes, but if they seem to be stressing her out, then you could do one 100% change, and 2 50% changes (you could leave her in for this just make sure to match the temperature correctly and condition the water beforehand).

I would not continue the bettafix. I have yet to see it work, and it can actually be harmful to them. If you want to know why, there is a great article about it here: FishGeeks :: View topic - What you need to know about Bettafix and Melafix

Instead, I would add a pinch of aquarium salt at each 100% change.

If you saw normal poops today, I wouldn't stress about it now unless more obvious signs appear. If she doesn't seem to be pooping as much as normal you could try giving her a bit of thawed daphnia or a tiny bit of deshelled pea. See if that helps. If however, you stop seeing the normal poops, tell us and we can help you with that should it occur.

That is odd what she did with the bettafix . I've never heard of that before .

Good luck!
Old 11-27-2008, 03:13 AM   #5 
uluvsweetsdontu

It looks like some sort of slime to me, not poop. Is she doing better? I took my unopened bottle of BettaFix back to the store and got my money back after reading that. Thanks
uluvsweetsdontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:40 AM   #6 
Kim

Is that swirly stuff in the photo what you are talking about? I thought it was just sort of a picture flaw.

Like I said, if her fins continue to get worse even with the water changes I would try the fungus clear. The trick is to know when something isn't working and use the meds before it gets too bad. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #7 
Antje

Yes, that is the white stuff I meant. So far, I don't see any of it in the bowl.

Thank you for posting the article. I read about pros and cons of the medicine here in different threads and it was nice to get a little more background information.

For now I have the feeling, that the betta fix is ok for Dali, so I will continue for a little bit, but I'll watch her closely.
And you are right, it is difficult to tell, if something is making it worse and to understand it before it's too late, especially for me as a beginner and it is also difficult to tell, if something is actually helping and also when it's getting better, especially with the fins. So I'm glad I can talk to you here who are more experienced.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:28 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I treated one of my fish with Bettafix one time for finrot, and he did ok with it. I just treated another one recently with Melafix and Pimafix and I didn't like the way he looked and acted.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:16 AM   #9 
iamntbatman

That wispy white stuff is...weird, to say the least. My first inclination is that it's overproduction of the slime coat, which could happen for any number of reasons. Improving water quality through water changes certainly wouldn't hurt, though.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:42 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

My first betta had that a lot. I thought it was because I used to use stresscoat as my water conditioner and it was from the aloe vera in the stresscoat.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote