Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2009, 11:39 PM   #1 
megphimu22

Question- Help!!! Fin problem- but NOT fin rot!

Ok, so my fish Chuck Bass has been great/healthy/active. Today, I looked at his back fins and several of them are tearing/ripping/disinegrating. There are no other spots like this besides the back fin and there are no indications of fin rot. I always treat the water with a drop of that blue betta medicine and other water conditioner. The temp has been between 80-82. All the parameters are within normal limits. I'm going to do a partial water change tomorrow.. But what could cause this? He's got live plants and a rock thing in there, nothing that would end up causing this. It's weird...Is he getting sick?

Last edited by megphimu22; 01-30-2009 at 11:49 PM.
megphimu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:29 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Does the rock have any sharp edges?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:59 AM   #3 
megphimu22

Not that would cause it to split up the way it did.... I thought that at first too, but then ruled it out.. It's weird, it looks better today? haha.. who knows.. He seems happy and healthy too! and he ate a big breakfast!
Old 01-31-2009, 10:01 AM   #4 
megphimu22

I'm wondering if he got a little too close to the filter.. maybe that's what did it?
Old 01-31-2009, 10:31 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

It could be that it got sucked into the filter? I think you can cover that with a piece of pantyhose to keep him from being sucked in.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:36 AM   #6 
megphimu22

I'm starting to think that's what it was. I'll have to do the pantyhose trick. He normally stays away from the filter but maybe he was just too playful and happen to swim by it. He seems okay though, thanks for your help!

I see your from KY, hope you're in an area that wasn't hit badly with the storm! I live in West TN (Memphis) and have seen pictures from all of KY. My sister's in law's live in Paducah and it's pretty bad still!
Old 01-31-2009, 10:46 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

We're fine, thank you for asking. :) We were so lucky we didn't lose power. There were places close to us that lost power and a lot of our neighbors had/have friends and family staying with them because their power is still out. School was out all week and may be out on monday, too. I petsit for a neighbor who teaches and thank goodness I didn't have to walk the dog in this mess! I heard that Paducah was really bad. I have cousins in Elizabethtown and they were without power. This stuff melts then refreezes and then its like a skating rink. I hope things are getting better in Paducah.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:46 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Oh, by the way, how did your test go last week?
Old 01-31-2009, 10:47 AM   #9 
megphimu22

Thanks! Glad you're okay and never lost power! They are saying Paducah may not get power until the middle of February. Yikes!
Old 01-31-2009, 10:48 AM   #10 
megphimu22

I passed, luckily. The average grade was a 76, which in nursing school that's failing (77 is the lowest passing). I ended up with an 82- which is not good for me, but good according to the average! haha.. Thanks for asking!!