Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2013, 02:09 AM   #1 
bniebetta

Exclamation Help me with Saltwater :D

Here is what happened: I found a really good deal on a saltwater aquarium and went for it because my fiance really wanted one. The kicker is that I had to either commit to getting it or not immediately, and I really have NO saltwater experience. AT ALL. I know the internet is a beautiful place, but I really have no idea where to start, so please either give me a crash course or help point me in the right direction (crash course would be faster).

I know this is not a saltwater forum, but there must be SOMEONE here who can help me :D We are so excited at this opportunity to expand our aquarium experience and help us grow.

Here is what I know about the tank: The tank has been active for 3 1/2 years but I am not that confident that it has everything it should have. It is 55 gallons with live sand, very few live plants, some creepy crawly things, one fish, one or two small live rocks, and a heater. There are three HOB filters for it but they are all just walmart filters, however one has nitrite rock. There are two different kinds of lights (can't really remember much about them). Came with a lot of stuff buuuuuuut I have no idea really what it is or how to use it.
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:02 AM   #2 
Mankey

Definitely get a protein skimmer if you don't already have one, it'll save you a lot of brown algae trouble. You're probably also going to want to get more live rock, since I think there's a general rule of "1 pound per gallon" which could get a little expensive, but you don't have to do it all at once. Regular filters should work fine. Also get powerheads if you don't have them; they're small fan-like things that help the water circulate, effectively preventing the salt in the aquarium from settling down. Those "creepy crawly" things are probably bristleworms, which help aerate the sand and keep algae at bay. But if you don't want to have bristleworms running around, you can either get banded coral shrimp or a six line wrasse. There are others you can get, but those are my personal favorites (even though I haven't really had the chance to use them). And... I think that's pretty much all I have.
Mankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #3 
OrangeAugust

On this forum's parent forum (tropicalfishkeeping.com), they have a whole section about all aspects of salt water tanks.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I recommend tropicalfishkeeping.com. We have a whole section dedicated to saltwater. Good to see that we might have another saltwater member. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote