Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #1 
screwball69

Questions regarding a 10g tank

I am getting a 10 gallon tank soon and was curious if there would be any issues of only having a betta in it?

About how often should I do water changes? should I just monitor amonia and change it when it gets high?
Also should I have gravel in it or can I leave it out so make 100% changes easier. aside from siphoning are there anyways to make 100% changes easier in such a large tank?
screwball69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #2 
Xeek

Sure a single betta in that is fine, he'l have lots of room, but he'l also probably want some plants and ornaments to take up dead space - you wouldn't want to live in an open warehouse would you? He'll love all that space so long as there are things to swim around and/or under. They prefer to go to what they feel is a safe spot when the lights go out.

In a tank like that you should go ahead and get a filter, and do 50% water changes every week. If you have live plants (which I recommend) and a fully cycled tank then you can probably extend that to every 2 weeks. You don't want to wait for ammonia to approach any noticeable problem zones, you change the water on a regular basis.

I honestly don't do 100% water changes, good bacteria can live in the substrate and also for getting plants - they'l need it. If you get any tank mates (like catfish) they'l also prefer it (something smooth or not too sharp). Not to mention gravel makes a tank look great. Water changes are not hard, I use a bucket and siphon hose and it takes me less than 5 minutes (I use the water hose outside to refill the bucket). I have a 16 gallon tank and I've actually only had to change the water every month (it has lots of live plants).

10 gallons is not a large tank, it should be easy to care for though, the larger the easier the maintenance can be actually. Water quality seems to be much easier to keep when there is more of it.

If you want to have a lot of awesome tank mates, maybe pick a female betta? They seem to get along (but consider they all have different personalities) better with other fish than males do. A tank that size deserves to have more than 1 fish - but that's your option.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #3 
screwball69

I plan on getting some live plants for him eventually, I'm starting with some silk plants simply because i'm not sure any of the pet stores in my area have live plants. I will however get him some caves and what not to go with them.

good to know I dont need to do 100% water changes in a big tank like that, that was my big worry. I'll just use a siphon hose then.

to be honest i'm not sure if my betta is a female or a male. I was considering getting it some tank mates when I put him in the 10g (he is in a 2g atm) just not sure what yet.

also before I foget, a heater would likley be a good plan for a tank that big eh?

Edit: I"m a idiot, my betta makes massive bubble nests. of course its a male. duh!

Last edited by screwball69; 06-20-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #4 
Xeek

I always use heaters. My bettas like 78F +
Old 06-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #5 
screwball69

yeah I figured he would need it, just thought id ask anyways
Old 06-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #6 
Xeek

PetCo and PetSmart sell plants. I usually for for the tube containers (but I mostly only buy the anubias which tend to hold up really well in those tubes).
Old 06-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #7 
screwball69

One last question, what type of filter should I look for?
Old 06-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #8 
Xeek

A filter that has adjustable flow and good reviews. That's all. You'l want to be able to turn the flow probably all the way down, because bettas notoriously don't enjoy current very much. I personally prefer HOB (hang on back) filters.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #9 
screwball69

anything for a aquarium that size I'm likely going to have to build a baffle for wont i?
Old 06-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #10 
Juditko

I switched to a sponge filter with airstone and loved it! No worries about baffling. There are some threads here on them. Some you can buy and others you can make.
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote