Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #1 
Sylerwin

Identifying fin rot

So, I've been looking into getting another betta. I saw a gorgeous black orchid crowntail at a local fish store and loved the look. However I worry about anything in the future happening and being able to identify any issues early on. I know fin rot appears as black/shredded fins. I feel with a black crowntail that could be almost impossible to identify! If I were to get a fish like him or similar, could I potentially not notice signs of illness at an early time?
Sylerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #2 
Emparios

I don't really know how you'd be able to identify fin rot on that specific fish, but I've heard that it can't hurt a fish if you correctly use fin rot medication when it doesn't have rot. But, since I'm no expert, I'd suggest the obvious: research.
Emparios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #3 
NorthernLights

Fin rot often comes after ammonia burns, so even a black fish could show red areas. I hear you on the crown tails -- that's one of the reasons I did not want one. I think once you get to know your fish well, you will know what it looks like, and notice changes. Hopefully some of the dark crowntail owners will chime in on this one.

Basically fin rot, ammonia burns, tail biting, fin shredding, etc., are all treated the same way with conservative treatments: warmth, clean water, maybe some aq salt, maybe some stress coat.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #4 
darkangel

well your fish is probably going to act sick like he won't eat and his is going to be clamped. here is a useful blog post with a diagram.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote