Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #1 
happyspider

Fish HATES the filter

Hi all - just got my first betta! He is a beautiful blue/red Half Moon Betta named Reuben, and i'm madly in love with him. :)

I had him in a bowl to begin with, but just upgraded him to a 5 gal tank with heater, filter and plants which he loves. The issue is, while he loves the plants and roominess of the new tank, he absolutely HATES the filter. When i turn it on he struggles then lies sideways on the bottom under his moss ball. Unfortunately the filter doesn't have flow adjustment.

I want to be able to run the filter at least some of the time, so I got one of those clear plastic breeding boxes. If i dip it into the water next to him, he rolls right in - i don't have to net him and it doesn't seem to hurt his fins - and then i hook it inside the tank with the cover on it, so his temp stays consistent and he can remain in still water while i run the filter for a couple hours.

He looks relaxed in the box, but i wanted to ask on this forum if this is an ok solution or if it will stress him out to do this a few times a week.

Thanks for any help - i've kept fish before but not bettas, and i really want him to be healthy and happy.
happyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #2 
Solaris

I would just take the filter out completely. I have a 5 gallon tank as well, but with no filter. I do water changes every six days and have not had a single problem! My boy is healthy and happy!

Some Betta just really don't like any current at all. If you keep up on water changes and check the ammonia/nitrite/etc. levels on a regular basis, everything should be fine!
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #3 
JellOh

Putting him in the breeding box isn't really a solution because you'll never be able to finish you cycle with your filter off for hours at a time every day. If a filter isn't cycled its utterly useless because it isn't changing the ammonia to less harmful nitrate. Sme possible permenant solutions are either getting a different filter or baffling the one you have. Sponge and corner filters are great because your can adjust the flow of bubbles and they create almost no surface tension.
Here is a great baffling guide http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139 . What filter do you have currently?
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #4 
Xeek

Either baffle the filter outflow with filter mesh material like I do or get a filter that's more proper for him. No complicated answers for this one.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #5 
happyspider

Thanks for all the advice! The filter came with the tank, and is a Topfin 10.
happyspider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breedingbox, filter, happy