Old 06-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #1 
gobettaorgohome

URGENT - Betta disease, almost dead :( *with pictures*

Please help, any advice is appreciated.

Red betta (his name is Tuna), symptoms below:
- almost completely white in the body
- first part of tail is fading white from the red, tail remains closed
- small white spots around the gill area
- stays at the surface, every few minutes almost looks like it's stretching, air bubble comes up
- hasn't eaten for 3 days now, usually eats everything given
- I'm in China, unfamiliar with the language, and unsure of how to even get to a pet shop nearby
- when first realized, changed the water immediately
- first 2 days, I put a few specks of salt in the tank, it's in a very small tank, I don't have aquarium salt, epsom salt, or any kind of fish medication, and I also don't think I have time to order anything

I bought 2 different species about a month ago, both were incredibly healthy and adjusted immediately. Everyday I would give them some exercise by letting them see each other. The slightly bigger one (opens it's fins like a moon, black and yellow, his name is Salmon) is still healthy, but the slightly smaller red one (Tuna) has developed a disease. Is there some kind of holistic treatment I can do with household items to rescue him? I don't think he'll make tomorrow at this rate.

I was reading about giving salt baths, but I don't have any kind of aquarium salt, can I just use table salt for the treatment? At this point, I don't think I have that much to lose. Please help, I know I've only had him for 1 month but I don't want to let him go. My friends tell me he looks dead and I should put him out of his misery but I refuse to give up.

Please compare the healthy and sick photos

Thanks,
Emily
Attached Images

gobettaorgohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:56 AM   #2 
jona31

OMG thats serious first of all you need a BIGGER tank for them and also it look to me like he has clamped fins and is in distress search up clamped fins and betta distress on your computer GOODLUCK
jona31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:16 AM   #3 
gobettaorgohome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jona31 View Post
OMG thats serious first of all you need a BIGGER tank for them and also it look to me like he has clamped fins and is in distress search up clamped fins and betta distress on your computer GOODLUCK
Thanks for helping me to diagnose, I've read quite a few articles online, and have searched online for medication for betta fish, but I cannot find any. I'm shocked I can't find any in all of China, so I think it's just my lack of Chinese.

It seems like every vendor only sell the same two types of medication, one for all fish - "general" medication, and the other is for goldfish. They're both antibacterial. I'm going to keep looking for medication.
And yes, I agree, I need a bigger tank, will order that as soon as I get some help for little Tuna. Thanks again
Old 06-21-2013, 02:42 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

HI

How often do you change their water? Small bowls that size would need to be cleaned out every day or every other day to keep the ammonia level down. He may not be sick like he has a disease, he may be suffering from a high ammonia level. Try doing a 100% water change and cleaning out any debris in the rocks (poop and uneatten food). Slowly acclimate him into the clean water. You don't want to add him back to quickly because if the old water and the new water have different tempatures he can go into shock.

The fact he hasn't eaten in 3 days is a bit worrysome though. It's hard to say what his problem is at this point...

If you can get them bigger tanks - of at least 3 gallons each, that would be awsome. And a heater since they need temps of about 78-82 for optimal health. They don't need filters but a heater is a must - unless its very hot and humid where you are. I doubt the commercial breeders in Thailand use heaters...

Its odd you cant find anything for them in china. Alot of the stuff I order off ebay for my fish is actually from sellers in China or Hong Kong. It might be a good idea to find an antibacterial and antiparasite medication on ebay or amazon.com. That way you will have them on hand if you ever need them. I had to do that when I lived in Alaska.

If you can answer as many of these as you can, that will help
Quote:
Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Last edited by Tikibirds; 06-21-2013 at 02:45 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:10 AM   #5 
gobettaorgohome

Thank you Tikibirds! My answers are below:

Housing
What size is your tank? Approx 0.7 litres
What temperature is your tank? Unsure, I don't have a heater. I'm in Shanghai so even room temperature can be quite hot. My other betta fish is doing great, although a different specie
Does your tank have a filter? No, just frequent water changes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None, I just unblock stuff between him and my other betta fish (both in separate tanks) once or twice a day to let them fight it out a little to exercise.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Whale King - Color Enhancing Granular Fish Food
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, about 8 pellets each time and they gobble them all up.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Usually twice a week. I keep them at work so I don't see them on Saturdays and Sundays
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None, I leave the water under the sun for a good 2-3 days. Have done this type of water change for the past 2 months?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes, went from vivid red to pale and lifeless looking
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
- Doesn't eat much, I watched him for a few hours now and if I feed 1 pellet, he will eat it after a couple of minutes. So I've been feeding him 1 at a time and waiting for him to eat it before I feed another one.
- Stays at the surface, doesn't move much, every few minutes wiggles around, sometimes looks like he's stretching and he'll let out an air bubble
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Just under a week ago, but at the beginning, he was still eating, then went to trying to eat, but spitting pellet back out, to now only eating 1 at a time, every once in awhile.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? When I noticed, immediate water change, then put a few specks of table salt in the water. Will do another water change for him before I leave work today, and will bring him home as the weekend is coming up, so I can monitor him. I have a feeling he won't make it past this weekend :(
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No

I don't think I have time to buy medication online, but I will go buy some sea salt after work, can I give him salt baths with sea salt? I've been reading about them online. It does look like he has clamped fins, how can I keep him living longer so I can order the medication in? Although eBay has a lot of China and HK sellers, they don't actually sell to within China and don't deliver. China has their own little amazon going on online, but I've looked through 3 different popular site already.

Thanks!

Last edited by gobettaorgohome; 06-21-2013 at 03:13 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

Found a forum in which they were discussing how and where to obtain Epsom salt in China:
http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/32/thread17439.html. The forum isn't about fish, but has English-speaking people who have moved to this area and are looking to find items. You can probably ask them about finding fish medications.

In the meantime, I would follow Tikibirds' advice. Do a 100% water change. Acclimate slowly. (See below.)

Based on his symptoms, I would not use sea salt. It may make his condition worse. Try doing daily water changes using just water.

There are many ways to do a water change and acclimate (reintroduce) your fish back into the tank. Here is one variation, which takes into account that you are able to use room-temperature water and don't use a conditioner:
  1. Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
  2. Clean out the tank. Refill with aged water.
  3. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min.
  4. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
  5. Let his cup float for about 10 min.
  6. If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
  7. Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed.
  8. Gently release him into the tank.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #7 
jona31

how is he doing
jona31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #8 
Saphira101

I don't think that your bettas are different species. They all look like splendens to me, but they have different tail-types. (Looks like you have two crown tails and a doubletail)

I agree with the others that he's probably suffering from the high ammonia levels, and LittleBlueFishlets pretty much covered everything. :)

I'd suggest getting them bigger tanks eventually if possible, or otherwise just cleaning the bowls regularly.

Good luck! :)
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #9 
countyrd419

Thumbs up

Good evening gobettaorgohome. The bottom fish in your reply is stressed. The clamped fins is the big sign. When you can, you need to get a bigger tank so that both of your betta fish can thrive. I have the 2.5 gallon tank from Aqueon which you can get at PetSmart. As other owners have stated before me, daily water changes plus a heater will do wonders for them. Here is Rusty in his home.

If I am coming offline please forgive me. I just want you to be a good betta fish owner and learn a lot about their care just as I have from this wonderful site.
Attached Images

countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #10 
gobettaorgohome

Thanks everyone for your comments, sorry I haven't been replying, he passed away shortly after my last post, so I was quite sad and didn't want to read comments that would remind me of my mistakes. I'm feeling better now and taking time to learn from it.

I'll get a bigger tank for the other one, who is still extremely healthy and eats like a little monster. In the meantime, will continue to do frequent water changes.

Again, thanks everyone for taking the time to help me.