Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2013, 12:53 AM   #1 
sainthogan

how long can bb live in a filter that's off

I know this question has been asked before, but I can't find it anywhere. We've had some really weird things going on here. The internet and land lines went out over most of the Northern part of our state last night until late this afternoon. And then, completely unrelated, the power went out over a good portion of the same area this morning. It's back on now, but I was wondering, how long can bb live in a filter when the power is out? I'm not worried about the heaters because it's unseasonably warm here and our bedroom where the fish tanks are is well into the 80's anyway (no ac in that room). And is there anything I can do to keep it from dying in the event that the power is off for days (when I was thinking I'd take my filter out to keep my fish from getting stuck behind it, I could put it in my spare tank to keep it running, but if the power is out, I won't have that option.)
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:12 AM   #2 
jaysee
Reference Team

I've left a canister filter off, but full of water for 5 weeks and not lost the cycle. I have a couple of filters that have been off but full of water for close to 3 months now - I'm looking forward to seeing if they can still complete the cycle.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #3 
Tabby216

The filter is just something that clears the water now the cartridge bag that contains the bb if it was left out of water for longer than an hour you would lose a lot. Giving them dechlorinated water will keep them living
Tabby216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

My longest time with the filter out was six days. Turned it back on without any drama---no mini-cycle, no spike. They need something to keep the oxygen coming, but they'll go into suspended animation long before they die.

Commercial bacteria suppliers keep them alive (if asleep) on the shelf for months.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #5 
sainthogan

Ok, that's good to know. I'm hoping for no more weirdness up here in the mountains, but who knows.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote