Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #31 
BettaLover1313

Sounds like you may have gotten lucky to have two mellow males, but as others have said, I'd keep an eye on them. Are there places for them to hide if one decides to attack the other? I understand you have a large tank, but from the pictures it's hard to see if one of them could hide, if needed, from the other. I really hope that they can continue to live together peacefully. Maybe you can discuss their personalities a bit more since that may have everything to do with their ability to live together, or perhaps more about what other fish live with them? Maybe it's a mutual-survival instinct if the other fish are nipping at them/attacking them? I'm just genuinely curious about how all this turns out.

That all being said, I know I couldn't put my two boys together, that'd be a disaster waiting to happen, but that's just because I know both their personalities and I know that one is laid back but energetic and the other is more high strung and territorial.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #32 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

The truth is any time you put two critters together you're taking a chance.

Lots of people go to work and leave dogs of disparate sizes or a large dog and a cat, kitten or puppy loose together and never think twice. But being involved with rescue and being a dog trainer, I would never, ever do that. I've seen what can happen in a split second between animals that have lived together peacefully for years and it isn't pretty. To me, it's on par with putting two male Bettas in the same tank.

As a matter of fact, on a couple of canine behavior forums I'm on, threads by people who leave small/large dogs or large dogs/cats, etc., together gets just as heated as this one. And the people who do it get just as much flak.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective and experience.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #33 
BettaLover1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
The truth is any time you put two critters together you're taking a chance.

Lots of people go to work and leave dogs of disparate sizes or a large dog and a cat, kitten or puppy loose together and never think twice. But being involved with rescue and being a dog trainer, I would never, ever do that. I've seen what can happen in a split second between animals that have lived together peacefully for years and it isn't pretty. To me, it's on par with putting two male Bettas in the same tank.

As a matter of fact, on a couple of canine behavior forums I'm on, threads by people who leave small/large dogs or large dogs/cats, etc., together gets just as heated as this one. And the people who do it get just as much flak.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective and experience.
Well said.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #34 
Myates

Tic..
Tic..
Tic..
Attached Images

Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #35 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Yup.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #36 
Myates

Ok, seriously.. these are domesticated fish, but the basics of the wild is still there, like with any animal. We can tame only so much, but each one still have that natural, biological drive. Some more than others, but when a captive animal gets stressed (for any reason and at any time) things can go south.. a dog will bite the owner, a lion will maul it's trainer, a betta will attack another betta.

People who claim success usually don't have those exact same "successful" fish 1-3 years down the road. I personally do not accept a success story about keeping males together unless the males have lived together for 3+ years without any incident. Otherwise, it's call luck. People who have actually been successful are the people who have bred multiple generations and keep them living together all the time, haven't been separated, etc. But if someone has had 2 males living together for a month or two without death it doesn't mean they will always be like that.. it will happen that they will fight, and if they don't fight then one will die at a younger age due to constant stress fearing its life on a daily basis as he will run from the other due to self preservation.

Like I posted in my previous post.. it generally will happen, and if not you'll end up with one stressed out, sickly fish who will not live a long life due to the stress.

Too tired to go into the specifics and science over it all.. but as someone mentioned above - the splendens are called fighting fish for a reason :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #37 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Not only are they domesticated with the wild habits like Myates said, but they were initially bred to make them MORE aggressive.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:43 AM   #38 
Kiara1125

My boyfriend has kept a 29g with 8 betta girls and 2 boys. They were fine with each other for 2 years. Unfortunately, they all died due to hornwort that had carried over columnaris. They never had any problems and there was no flaring or fin nipping. I had a video of it on youtube, but he deleted his account a few months ago. I would've loved to share the video! Not all bettas are aggressive. I believe that it all depends on the personality of the fish. There are "miracle" fish, but not all fish conform to standards.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:31 AM   #39 
Stone

It might work out it might not, a lot depends on the specific fish, both of my giants are pretty mellow and love having tank mates of other species, now my other bettas it is hit and miss depending what the tank mates are, my veiltail clown, pretty much does not care what it is he will either kill it or try to kill it, I wish you luck and hope it does not end in sadly, they are your fish you can do as you please with them, no matter what anyone says on the internet or in person
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote