Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #1 
BettaBoop

Just took in a possibly sick betta?

Hi there! I've been trying to read as much as possible on everything I can do for my Betta, but I figured I'd start a post to get some help on my particular situation. I'm a newbie when it comes to Betta care. I just took home a Betta a few hours ago from my job, I was worried the fish would end up dying in a pet store or get flushed. I assume hes sick due to the way his fins look in comparison to some others Bettas I've seen, maybe I'm wrong. I was going to get a 2.5-3 gal aquarium kit with a heater and all that. Then, I saw some posts on cycling, and I'm not quite sure what to do. Do I wait and cycle the tank, or can I put him right in? I feel guilty not putting him in a nice aquarium all ready, but I don't want to make matters worse. Any input would be much appreciated!

I've attached a photo of him as well.
Attached Images

BettaBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #2 
Pitluvs

Cycling a tank that small is a personal preference. Myself, I don't cycle anything under 10g. I would set up his tank with fresh clean treated heated water, slowly adjust him to the change and put him in :) He looks alright to me, but unsure about the black around his fins. Someone with more experience on fin rot should see this and comment. He's a beautiful boy though! Congrats.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #3 
BettaNubRandyLove

What a nice crown tail. :) His fins look okay to me. I think the black may be just coloration. But if his fins start mysteriously getting shorter make sure to look on here for treatment.
BettaNubRandyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #4 
NeptunesMom

I do think it's partially his color, but I also think he has the beginnings of fin rot. At this point, I'd just treat it with clean, warm water. If you notice it beginning to spread over the next couple days (keep comparing him to this picture here as a reference point) I would do an aquarium salt treatment. But, I think clean warm water should do the trick. If you get a 2.5 g - 3 g make sure do water changes at least twice a week to keep the water clean and him healing.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #5 
BettaBoop

So I actually ended up getting a 5.5 gal tank, and a few necessities. I'll be getting some more decor and what not over the next few days
Old 06-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #6 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBoop View Post
So I actually ended up getting a 5.5 gal tank, and a few necessities. I'll be getting some more decor and what not over the next few days
He will be very happy in that. Make sure you get a heater and a thermometer. Those are very important in ensuring your betta's health and happiness. He is a beautiful boy by the way.

At the bare minimum you need something for him to hide in to feel safe and secure as well. Make sure you can fit your thumb in it, if you can't he could get stuck. Also, make sure it's smooth on the inside as well. I bought a decoration once, that I had many others of, and I always run my hand inside, there was a really sharp piece of the decoration that would've impaled my little guy if he'd gone in there. I pulled it out stuck in my thumb.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #7 
BettaBoop

Just an update, he doesn't seem to be eating :/ Not sure what I can do!
Old 06-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #8 
BettaBoop

He just floats underneath the food, he may have had one piece but I'm not sure.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #9 
Saphira101

Sometimes when you first get a betta, they won't eat for the first few days. My girl, Winter, didn't eat for about five days when I brought her home. Just keep offering him food, and if he doesn't eat it in 3-4 minutes then remove it so it won't polute his water.

I would also like to recommend API Stress Coat+ water conditioner. It contains aloe vera, which makes fish less stressed. If he does have fin rot, it may also speed the healing process. Whatever you do, avoid BettaFix.

Good luck!
Saphira
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #10 
Iorek

All of my bettas didnt eat for a week when I got them. I was so stressed and was trying to figure out what is wrong, actually it was just the stress. They got stressed by moving and dont want to eat.

to eliminate the stress, I practically offer them live food(not frozen real live food)

playing with live food make them a little happier. I prefer brine shrimp and worms( be careful about the parazites, I got my live worms from reliable sources)

His tail are looking good to me, because of the stress of new home, he can start to bit his tails as well ( it happened to me once)

Just keep his water warm and clean and he will be fine in no time and he will start to watch your every move :)

He is gorgoes handsome boy :)
Iorek is offline   Reply With Quote