Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #1 
Mamabon

Swim bladder disorder-almost 2 weeks

I moved my male Betta out of my cycled heated community tank when he had trouble swimming normally. He is in a 2 qt container, I do water chg daily. I now know I should never have fed the fish froz blood worms because he pigged out. I fasted him 2 days, fed inside of a froz cooked pea which he loved. A day and half later while fasting again he spit it up I think. I found what looks like the pea. I tried again with similar result. He swims over when I visit him and eats with gusto. He tires quickly and rests normally or on his side on a Betta hammock. His tummy is still a bit large on one side. Today I fed him some defrosted froz Daphnia using a toothpick. He grabbed it and ate any bits floating. He floats on top, swims down but it takes effort. I'm still waiting for him to poop. I don't know if or when to give daphnia again if he doesn't poop. Not sure about using epsom salt, how much, often or long to leave him in it so I haven't tried it. Any advice is appreciated.
Mamabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #2 
Kalari32

3 teaspoons of epsom salt per gallon.
You can do the treatment up to 14 days, but you probably wont have to.
Kalari32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #3 
Mamabon

How long should my Betta soak in it ?
Ill give 24 hours to see if the daphnia works first tho I think.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #4 
Mamabon

And if I do the epsom salt soak for how long, and consecutive days ? Up to 14?
I just want to get it right.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #5 
LostxinthexMusic

With the Epsom salt, scoop out some of his water, dissolve 1 1/2 Tbsp. in it (for his quarantine tank), and add the solution directly to his tank. Continue adding it with every water change (only put in as much as you took out, i.e. if you do a 50% change, only add 3/4 Tbsp.) for up to 14 days, or a few days after the SBD symptoms stop (whichever comes first)
LostxinthexMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

@LostxinthexMusic - I do think he should be treated with Epsom salt, but not at that high a dosage. He's in a 0.5 gal tank. Adding 1 1/2 tablespoons would be the same as 4.5 teaspoons. In his half gal tank, that would be 9 teaspoons per gallon!!!!! Much, much, much too high! I also feel that Kalari32's recommendation of 3 teaspoons per gallon is too high, as well. That would be the dosage I'd recommend for a serious illness (like dropsy). This little guy just has some constipation and swim bladder issues, which a lower dose of Epsom salt would likely resolve.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Mamabon - I recommend Epsom salt at a dosage of 1 teaspoon per gallon. I don't feel that you need to add more than this. In his half gal container, this would be 1/2 teaspoon of Epsom salt.

There are many ways to do a water change and acclimate (reintroduce) your fish back into the tank. Here is one variation to add the Epsom salt to the tank for a 100% water change:
  1. Note the temperature of the water.
  2. Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
  3. Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
  4. Add 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt per gallon of water.
    For example: Your 0.5 gal container would require 0.5 teaspoon Epsom salt.
  5. Stir until the Epsom salt is completely dissolved.
  6. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min.
  7. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
  8. Let his cup float for about 10 min.
  9. If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
  10. Repeat steps 5-7, until an hour (or more) has passed.
  11. Gently release him into the tank.

Since his QT tank is so small, do daily water changes, using the same procedure outlined above. He can stay in Epsom salt treated water for 10-14 days.

In general, I keep them in this dosage (1 teaspoon Epsom salt/gal) until they poop, then I feed them a single pellet. If they poop again and don't have buoyancy issues, I'll put them back in untreated water. Most of the time, I'll only need to treat like this for a couple of days.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 06-03-2013 at 08:20 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #7 
LostxinthexMusic

Whoops, meant teaspoons! *facepalm*
LostxinthexMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

@LostxinthexMusic - OK, that makes sense.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #9 
Mamabon

There were 3 little poops from the daphnia today. He's swimming better and even dove down to get some, but he tires and still rests half the time on one side.
Thanks for the detailed epsom salt instructions. This little guy is hungry, he jumped up and grabbed onto the toothpick with the daphnia on it as I was putting it close for him to get at it. He must still have to go, I assume its pressing on his swim bladder.
Ill see how he is tomorrow, I'm trying to avoid the epsom salt.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #10 
Mamabon

I'm acclimating him right now, wish me luck.
I'm using 1/2 teaspoon epsom salt. How do I know when its time to stop using Epsom salt ?
I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by Mamabon; 06-06-2013 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Added additional question

Tags
constipated, constipated betta, daphnia, swim bladder disorder