Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2013, 12:44 AM   #11 
Haleigh

Yes, this is an internal filter. I decided to use it since I got it for free from the company. It works well; I like it. I'll definitely keep you all updated on how things turn out. Thanks for all your help/ideas. I appreciate it!
Haleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #12 
Haleigh

I just did a water change today. I've had the moss ball out of the tank since the last change. There was no green slime in the filter, so I guess this means that the moss ball was indeed the culprit. Did I just get a bad moss ball, or is it normal for them to do this?
Old 06-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #13 
peachii

Marimo Moss balls are actually Cladophora algae that forms into a ball naturally but can spread through the tank into somewhat of an algae infestation. It's rare that this happens but it can and is extremely hard to get rid of when it does. They are not moss but do look like it hence the name.

It is entirely possible new growth isn't adhering to the ball and is getting sucked into the filter. Try pulling it out every few days and squeezing it together to try to hold the new growth on it for awhile.

I broke 2 balls we bought apart and rolled them into smaller balls so I could put one in each tank, they were plenty big enough to do it just takes some time to get that perfect circle again but it's close enough that I am happy with it.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:20 PM   #14 
Haleigh

I'll try that. Thanks!