Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #1 
Aoibhell

Unhappy Fin Rot or Filter Damage?

Castiel (yes, from Supernatural) is the first betta I've ever had... I've had him for about a month now, and he seems to be happy. However, I've noticed his fins looking a bit raggedy, lately.

Yesterday, I did a 75% water change and added a couple tsps of dissolved salt to the tank. As of 24 hrs later, the parameters are super clean: ammonia and nitrites are at zero, and the nitrates are even 0-10ppm. It's the cleanest water I've ever tested, in fact. The tank is a fluval flora 8g and he's the only resident (aside from some plants).

I'm not sure if he has fin rot or if maybe his fins are getting caught in the filter intake. For whatever reason (adrenaline junkie?), he likes to play around in the outtake and & intake (they are right next to each other). He even builds his bubble nests behind the outtake and next to the intake. I've seen his fin get caught in it before, but only the one time. Is there any way to tell if it's one or the other?

You should know that I've been battling a green algae bloom, because of the placement of the tank- it gets a good amount of natural light in addition to his tank light. I've been leaving his light off for half the day, so his light is on about 4-5 hrs tops during the day.

I don't think I overfeed him- 1-2 pellets twice a day or 1 bloodworm and 1 pellet, and I fast him once a week.

Any advice? Pics below:

When I first got him:

About 2 weeks in:

Today:

Last edited by Aoibhell; 06-21-2013 at 04:19 PM. Reason: coded wrong
Aoibhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #2 
txbettaowner

First, GORGEOUS MALE YOU HAVE.

Second, get him away from the window. I had the same problem. Remove him from the window and thoroughly scrub that tank down. Bleach the tank and rinse it out until you don't smell the bleach anymore then clean all decor and plants.

Third, pictures of his tank would be better. So we can see the filtration system. My suggest is to put a panty hose (yes I said panty hose) over the intake so he doesn't get his tail sucked in if that is the problem. He could be nipping his fins also. If he is nipping his fins then something is stressing him out that he would be nipping them. Does he have anything to lay on? Swimming with such big fins does require a lot of energy and the males with big fins will get tired quicker than males with smaller fins or females.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #3 
Dwarden3

I would pantiehose the filter or make a baffle. This site has a wonderful article on how to make a baffle out of a plastic water bottle.
Dwarden3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #4 
Aoibhell

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbettaowner View Post
First, GORGEOUS MALE YOU HAVE.

Second, get him away from the window. I had the same problem. Remove him from the window and thoroughly scrub that tank down. Bleach the tank and rinse it out until you don't smell the bleach anymore then clean all decor and plants.

Third, pictures of his tank would be better. So we can see the filtration system. My suggest is to put a panty hose (yes I said panty hose) over the intake so he doesn't get his tail sucked in if that is the problem. He could be nipping his fins also. If he is nipping his fins then something is stressing him out that he would be nipping them. Does he have anything to lay on? Swimming with such big fins does require a lot of energy and the males with big fins will get tired quicker than males with smaller fins or females.
Thanks for your reply. His filter is the fluval nano, and there's also a mini pressurized co2
system in there.

Unfortunately, there's really nowhere else to put this tank. I have 2 other tanks taking up the best real estate and honestly, I never realized the sun was so strong where it is.

There are a couple of sword plants in there- one with pretty huge leaves, but he seems to prefer to chill on the substrate (fluval plant stratum), underneath another plant.

Maybe I'll try the pantyhose trick... don't know why I didn't think to do that.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #5 
Aoibhell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarden3 View Post
I would pantiehose the filter or make a baffle. This site has a wonderful article on how to make a baffle out of a plastic water bottle.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've never heard of a baffle... do you have a link to the article?
Old 06-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #6 
txbettaowner

I looked at his pictures more. You need more plants in the empty space. He needs plants away from the wall. Oh and something for him to swim under like a floating log or something like that. I would find a way to block the sun from getting into his tank everyday. Something to block the sun like maybe real thick curtains.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote